We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wimbledon 2011

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wimbledon 2011

Considering going to Wimbledon next year. Can anyone please advise on the best way to get tickets? I'm not so concerned about the semis or the finals - early rounds is fine. I've been to the Wimbledon web site and see all of the options, just not sure I understand what's best. Thanks in advance for any replies.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wimbledon 2011

If you don't wish to apply for tickets by ballot then it will be The Queue for you, unless you decide to book a package for hotel plus tickets.

If your dates are firm then send in a request for a ballot. You may or may not be successful in obtaining tickets by that process so it's worth applying. If you do join The Queue but are unsuccessful then there's always hours of coverage on BBC2 of the Championships.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wimbledon 2011

The ballot is basically a lottery. You have to get your ballot entry in by the end of the year as instructed and then the lottery, so to speak, is drawn in February/March of the next year. You will be offered two tickets but you don't get any choice in which of the three show courts, which day or where you sit that your tickets will be allocated to, so your holiday will have to cover the two weeks Wimbledon is on to be safe. If people turn down or return tickets they will offer them out in non-adjacent pairs, or singles and this can happen right up to when the tournament commences.

If you are not successful (and most wont be though try anyway; my friend got men's semifinals first time up...grrrr), the next best option is to queue, as TP says above. Each day there is a small allocation for seats to the three showcourts available to those who queue. To secure tickets for Centre court it is absolutely essential to camp overnight. But you can turn up by 6am and secure allocated tickets for Show Court 2. Don't turn up later than 8am to get in to the grounds though, or you'll be waiting a mighty long time, as once the ground reaches capacity they stop entries until people start leaving.

A ground pass gives you access to all courts apart from the show courts. Seasoned practitioners know to go immediately to secure spots on some of the smaller courts hosting higher profile players and stay there! The other option is to wait until late in the day... say around 4pm, there's still a lot of play on and as long as Andy Murray isn't playing that day (believe me it's a lot more crowded when he is) you should be able to get in and see games on the outside courts for several hours 'til dusk falls and play is suspended.

The Queue is a sight in itself, and beautifully well-oiled machine. Well worth going just to be part of the Queue. They give out free stuff and refreshments too!

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wimbledon 2011

Does anyone know whether the mailing address for the Wimbledon 2011 ballot application has changed? I sent in my self-addressed envelope and international reply coupon in September, to the exact address shown on the Wimbledon website, and it just came back "undeliverable as addressed/unable to forward". The address -- AELTC, P.O. BOX 98, London SW19 5AE -- is still shown on the site. Unhelpfully, the AELTC lists no source of inquiry other than snail mail and international telephone. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wimbledon 2011

If you end up queuing its surely better to go in the first week than the second - more matches on the outer courts!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wimbledon 2011

FBTreeBranch,

I'd say give the box office a call...it might be inconvenient and a bit of a cost to you given the time difference etc but at least you'll find out what the problem might have been. Number for calling is +44 20 8971 2541 (Overseas)

I've only just noticed going through the information again myself on their website that there are two different addresses...one for getting the ballot form (the address you sent to) and one for sending the ballot in - wonder if some confusion arose there (not by you but by the organisation). Can't see that you had the first address wrong. Maybe a lazy person at the Royal Mail delivery that day? Very odd. Perhaps try again. If no luck and you are still planning to go to London during Wimbledon fortnight...do try the Queue (I did: got in to Show Court Two and saw the now world number one Caroline Wozniacki followed by world number six Tomas Berdych...so you can have a good time with or without balloted tickets!).

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wimbledon 2011

Thanks, Georginal and Ruby Baby 17. Based on my experiences at the U.S. Open, I'd agree that the first week is a good choice for seeing plenty of action. I have resent the ballot application request, but we will try the queue if we don't get lucky. (I say "we" in the expectation that two tickets will be issued if my application is among the chosen. Can anyone confirm this? If this is not the case, a marital crisis may ensue.)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wimbledon 2011

Funny you should mention that about the two tickets .... funkybassman had a bit of aggro with Wimbledon tickets earlier this year. To that end, a phone call to the AELTC may be even more useful than just to supply an address, as you can enquire about how tickets are allocated.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k36436…

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
341 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wimbledon 2011

Apart from The Queue, you can also get ticket resales if you go in the afternoon in the first week.

And if you are just after the atmosphere, there is virtually no queue to get general ground admission on finals day, with access to the mixed doubles and junior finals matches and you can squeeze on to Murray's Mount/Henman Hill for the final.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wimbledon 2011

Good point [8]. Spectators who leave early (after say 5-6pm) are asked to hand in their tickets, which are then resold at a reduced rate with proceeds going to charity. You may only see a doubles match, but still get a bit of the atmosphere.

(I was a ball boy there a few decades ago and my parents used this to drop by and see me after work).

Edited: 22 October 2010, 05:11
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,842 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wimbledon 2011

FBTreebranch - if you're still looking at this site,

I phoned the Wimbledon Ticket Office. They confirmed that P.O. Box 98 is still in use - for the requesting of ballot applications. They've confirmed if you try again and your application is post-marked December 15 (or earlier), then it will be honored.

They use separate postbox numbers for people requesting ballot papers and another one (below) for completed ballots.

Once you have the form and have COMPLETED the ballot paper, you should use P.O. Box 67611, London SW19 9DT to submit it.

You will, of course, need to have the completed ballot sent back post-marked no later than December 31, 2010.

You must have been incredibly unlucky for your application to be returned. Even I recognize P.O. Box 98, SW19 as being the All England Club - the post office should have their hand slapped for that one!

Sorry - a re-read has shown that FBTreebranch has already re-submitted their application. Good luck.

I'll keep this post here just so it clarifies the two different post box numbers.

P.S. Got my ballot in last Friday. Went up in person - the staff there are always so helpful and friendly. Such a joy to deal with. Fingers are crossed!

Edited: 13 December 2010, 11:52