We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stonehenge

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
stonehenge

Driving from Bath to London. Is stonehenge worth the stop. It appears that you cannot get that close anyway. What does everyone think

London, UK
Level Contributor
313 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stonehenge

Yes, definitely worth a stop. It's unique, after all! The visitor centre has wonderful background information as well.

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: stonehenge

I wouldn't recommend stopping unless it is a strong interest.

You can not get that close. Probably better off stopping in by the side of the raod and viewing from there

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stonehenge

Im afraid its just a pile of stones to me!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stonehenge

I agree it is a pile of stones but to a tourist or traveller it has to be worth a stop as it's on the way to Bath and it is unique. The drive (possibly via Salisbury) is also much nicer than going straight down the Motorway to London. Allow about 45 minutes to an hour at Stonehenge.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: stonehenge

Sure it's a pile of stones - that are unique. Just standing there trying to figure out how they were placed without any modern machines, hmmm?

There are some tours that allow 'up close and personal' visits however the regular tourist cattle drive is perfectly adequate. You wouldn't want to get home, see something on the telly about Stonehenge, then complain that I was so close, yet you chose not to visit. Take the time; it's a chance to have a foothold on history's doorstep. Poppa

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: stonehenge

Yes, it's a pile of stones, but it is definitely unique. I drive down to the west country fairly often from London and the route via stonehenge (A303) is a nicer ride than the motorway. However, beware that at peak times (bank holidays, summer weekends) traffic can be really bad.

If you're going that far and stopping you might as well go into the visitor centre and read the history etc.... you get a bit closer than from the side of the road.

Max time needed is an hour.

Bath is also beautiful - enjoy.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stonehenge

I've been to the U.K. six times and have not had a desire to go to Stonehenge. Can't explain why, just haven't.

Ascot (Windsor...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: stonehenge

No, not worth the stop. You look through a fence from a distance. A very unsatisfactory experience. Don't waste your time.

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: stonehenge

I was told by so many Londoners not to waste my time at Stonehenge. But on my most recent trip to London, we took the time and we to visit Bath (very well worth it) and then on our way out, decided to go to Stonehenge (even more worth it). However, we just happend to be there on the day of the Summer Solstice and the fence was down and everyone was granted "all access" to stonehenge. There were some very interesting people there and some very interesting things taking place so that made the trip even more worthwhile. I think it would be a shame to be that close and then to have missed seeing that monument. I have to diagree with those who say it's not worth it. Besides, the rolling green hills that surround it are worth it by themselves.

Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,186 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stonehenge

Travelguy what day is the Summer Stolice then it would be good to know. As a Londoner I have nt a clue!