We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite spot in London

auckland
Level Contributor
169 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite spot in London

Experts, newbies, locals and travellers alike. What is your favorite spot in the city, and why?

Mine is the small garden that's beside Tower Bridge, across the street from the tube station. I'm not entirely sure why, but I love it.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Favorite spot in London

St Dunstan's in The East, in the City. So peaceful, especially on weekends. Just a restful spot. A WWII ruined Wren church turned in to a lovely garden. (Have to thank Glyn1 for introducing this space to me last year in a TALF post about a guided walk that took him there....best London walks advice ever).

If it's wet, cold and miserable...any good, warm pub (or a coffee shop with free wi-fi and good window spot for people-watching).

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Favorite spot in London

So hard to choose, but one of the loveliest days I have had in London was to catch the tube to Hampstead, walk through the village then through Hampstead Heath which is so beautiful and such a pleasure to enjoy the trees and birds, people walking their dogs. Come out the other side at Highgate and visit Highgate Cemetery, making sure to book in advance a tour of the Western side . This cemetery is fascinating and very beautiful, the grey Victorian heastones, statues and crosses entwined with green ivy and plants.The stories of some of the people buried there too are really interesting.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
749 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Favorite spot in London

The back room at the BlackFriar

Mentioned in this post
The Blackfriar
The Blackfriar
1,087 Reviews
London, UK
London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Favorite spot in London

Hampstead Heath and the first time I ever saw the view from Westminster Bridge at night with a lit up Big Ben and houses of parliament behind and the views down the river to the front. That was a cold winters night, and there was a busker playing the theme from 'Dr Zhivago' on an accordian on the exit from Westminster tube station to where there's a few steps up the bridge, I had the music still echoing in my head as I saw the most amazing time honoured and famous view. I know Dr Zhivago has nothing to do with London but the view was so cinematic and with the really cold frosty weather, it fitted in just perfectly at the time.

However that for me is 'tourist' London as I hardly go in to zone 1 anymore, real London for me is Hampstead Heath as I go there regularly.

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Favorite spot in London

I love watching a free show at the scoop on a lovely summer's evening with Tower bridge behind me.

Also linked to a lovely summer evening: lying back on the grass at Kenwood listening to great music and watching fireworks.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,761 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Favorite spot in London

Standing on Westminster Bridge in the early morning and repeating Wordsworth's, Composed Upon Westminster Bridge:

Earth has not anything to show more fair:

Dull would he be of soul who could pass by

A sight so touching in its majesty:

This City now doth, like a garment, wear

The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,

Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie

Open unto the fields, and to the sky;

All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.

Never did sun more beautifully steep

In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;

Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!

The river glideth at his own sweet will:

Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;

And all that mighty heart is lying still!

47. Re: Favorite spot in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 06:17