We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

Roseville...
Level Contributor
192 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

Can anyone recommend a reliable taxi/driver service for visiting gardens in Kent? Is Royal Tonbridge Wells a good Base? What about Cranbrook? Rye?

We prefer bed and breakfast accomodations in towns where good dinners are to be had and are looking for a central base to tour such gardens as Sissinghurst but also smaller, less well-known ones.

How much would a local taxi cost for a trip of, say, 2-10 miles?

Buckingham Palace
Castles, Historic Sites, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
St. George Utah
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

The closest (allbeit small town) to Sissinghurst is Staplehurst where some trains headed for Ashford stop. Local taxi services are available there. I'd suggest checking Sissinghurst's open schedule for the time you want to visit--not sure it is open every day.

Tunbridge Wells is a very nice Georgian Town with (I'm sure) many B&B's and nice dinner places.

Happy travels!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

Tunbridge Wells is certainly a great place to base yourself

With small hotels and many places to eat (not all of them fancy - some are the usual chains selling pizzas etc )

Its central location means you can get around using buses and trains -perhaps hire a car for a couple of days

I am not up to date on taxi costs - but likely to be similar to London rates

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

Tunbridge Wells to Staplehurst is an easy trip by train - take one of the frequent London trains from Tunbridge Wells and change at Tonbridge (about 10 mins from Tunbridge Wells).

Roseville...
Level Contributor
192 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

How does one get from Staplehurst to Sissinghurst? Is Cranbrook another town close by? It seems to have one good restaurant and possible bed and breakfats lodging.

What about Rye as a base?

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

While you're in the area, if you choose to do something in addition to touring gardens, you might consider Down House, which I found very interesting:

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

<How does one get from Staplehurst to Sissinghurst?>

There's a bus from Staplehurst to Sissinghurst at 42 minutes past each hour, takes 12 minutes: www.arrivabus.co.uk/serviceInformation.aspx…

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,244 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

Rye is an absoulutely delightful town but is nearer the coast and more islolated so wouldn't make as good a base without a car. Certainly worth a visit though if you have the time - http://www.visitrye.co.uk/

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

When are you visiting and which airport and are looking to spend some time in London? Most gardens including Sissinghurst close for the winter. In case you are not aware, the places you are asking about are not London but rural Kent around 50 miles South East of London as so public transport is restricted or almost non-existant.

Staplehurst and Cranbrook (there is no railway station at Cranbrook) are more large villages than towns both similar distance from Sissinghurst Gardens (Cranbrook slightly closer) but please note that the gardens are not actually in Sissinghurst but approx 1 mile outside. If you are looking a larger town then probably Tunbridge Wells would be worth looking.

Taxi fares : The link below gives Tunbridge Wells fare structure and I believe the other Kent areas are similar if not the same.

…tunbridgewells.gov.uk/pdf/taxi_fares_2008_A…

Another option to stay is Tenterden which is an attractive small town with quite a few restaurants, a couple of pubs, again doesn't have a railway station (except the tourist steam train) but you can get a taxi or bus from Ashford International Station. A very good, small reliable taxi company is St Michaels Car Hire, telephone +44 (0)1580 762277 or +44 (0)7798 677777 e-mail: sandratenterden@aol.com. We have been using them for around 30 years and they have never let us down.

www.tenterdentown.co.uk/index.php

Roseville...
Level Contributor
192 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

We're thinking of a trip next summer. Most likely we'd be flying in to Heathrow.

I'm aware that the gardens are in rural Kent but because we don't know the area, we're having difficulty pinning down a base location with good taxi or bus service. Royal Tunbridge Wells is a good suggestion, and I will check out Tenterden also.

Thanks very much for the link to Tenterden taxis.

Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis and base for garden tours in Kent

HI

Maybe I'm biased because I live in Tenterden but it's one of the loveliest towns in Kent! There are lots of bed and breakfasts and pubs to stay in at all prices and also good places to eat and drink.

Tenterden taxis is good but beware its about £20 each way to the nearest railway station (Headcorn). There is two good regular bus services (Clarks and Arriva) at £5.50 return and Headcorn serves both central London (about one hour) and the Kent Coast at Dover and Margate/Ramsgate.

For gardens see http://www.ngs.org.uk and http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk

Shame you are not here now - it's a beautiful day!