We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

Seems the Immigration officials union will stage a strike next week.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/8006837/Im…

Nothing like a little industrial action to keep travel interesting.

Cheers

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,442 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

Oh joy... since it took us over an hour at Stansted and nearly an hour and a half at Gatwick to clear Immigration I pity any non UK/EU passport holder trying to get into the UK when the officials are on strike....

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

The BBC have just announced that this strike has been called off.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

Oh, thank God!!! We arrive Saturday morning at Heathrow. Huge immigration queues are not fun after an overnight flight.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

Great news (unless they decide to try again in a couple of weeks).

Cheers

5. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2010, 08:05
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

Wow I couldnt imagine it being longer. With what I experienced yesterday on arriving I was wondering the whole time if I would make my time to get picked up by my transfer company. Its a little hectic and chaotic in that hall after a long overnight flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

Have you been through JFK recently? Now that was a queue!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

I'm afraid that if you land at Heathrow at the same time as a couple of other flights, you will have a long wait to get through passport control anyway, even if you have an EU passport. It's very tedious, but not sure what else they can do given the space constraints in some of the older Terminal buildings (not sure if Terminal 5 is better).

Toronto
Level Contributor
584 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

Hmmm - seems to me that Arrival can be either super fast or tediously slow. When we landed in mid-August (19th), the line for Brit/EU was huge, the rest of the world very short. I had allowed for one hour, but we were through - luggage and all in about 15 minutes. We were over an hour early for our car rental (no problems there). I think one can never tell...I always allow for lots of time.

10. Re: Be prepared for a big wait on Arrival into the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 06:20