We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcard, 241...so confused!

ARKANSAS
Level Contributor
87 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Travelcard, 241...so confused!

We will only be in London from Saturday, 02 Oct to Tuesday, 05 Oct. We will use Car/Driver to get to hotel upon arrival at LHR. Plan to go to Westminster Abbey and do HOHO tour bus on Saturday. Sunday, we will go to Tower of London. Then, depending on time, I thought we might use our free Thames river ticket from the HOHO bus to take the boat from Tower Pier to Westminster Pier. British Museum in the afternoon, maybe. London Eye at night. Monday, St. Paul's then train to Windsor for the rest of the day.

So, being there that short of time, I hadn't considered the 241 offers that the purchase of a travelcard could provide. But, with the travel I am planning to do, and the places I'm planning to visit, is it worth my time to figure it out? It seems very confusing to me.

Thanks,

Christy

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelcard, 241...so confused!

Have a look at hoogo's superlative spreadsheet in the link below. If you think you'll get value from the two for one offers then you'll have to buy one day Travelcards at a rail station ticket office to act as rail tickets for the purposes of the offers.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k393993…

At what hotel are you staying? You may buy the cards at Victoria, Charing Cross, City Thameslink, Euston, King's Cross and other rail stations; you should be able to buy a card for use on Sunday on Saturday and again one for Monday on Sunday. The cards must be on paper stock that looks like those in the link below - ignore the writing on the tickets, it's the orange and cream stock with the National Rail double arrow logo that's key.

…hd.org/_exhibits/travel/_more2001/_more12/t…

Edited: 20 September 2010, 04:25
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelcard, 241...so confused!

> I hadn't considered the 241 offers that the purchase of a travelcard could provide <

Whatever you decide, do please understand that it's only a TravelCard bought from a *National Rail* station that counts for the 2-for-1 offers. A TravelCard bought from a tube station (which will be sold to you on an Oyster card) is NOT valid for these offers.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelcard, 241...so confused!

Might have misunderstood your itinerary but I would question whether you can use the HoHo river cruise 'free' on the Sunday afternoon when the HoHo ticket is for Saturday

ARKANSAS
Level Contributor
87 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelcard, 241...so confused!

As I understand it, the HOHO ticket is for 24 hours, so depending on what time I get the ticket on Saturday, I believe I can use it until the same time on Sunday. Is that what others think too?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,151 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelcard, 241...so confused!

I've always been told that the HOHO ticket is valid for 24 hours from time of issue although I suspect some boat cruise agents might object to you turning up at T - 23.59 so I'd make sure that you can finish the cruise before the 24 hours are up just to avoid any problems.

6. Re: Travelcard, 241...so confused!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 06:21