We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three Days Outside of London- Itinerary ideas needed!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubuque, IA
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Three Days Outside of London- Itinerary ideas needed!

We're coming in mid October. Here'sour idea: We'd like to take the train from Edinburgh to one of our destination cities outside London- Cambridge, Salisbury, Stratford, Windsor, the Cotswolds... Then we'd rent an automobile and spend three days/nights visitng those places, a different place each night. We'd then get rid of the car, train into London for two days before flying back to the States. So we're looking for good ideas about those three days outide of London. What would a good itinerary be? What are some fun options? We are truly grateful for your help! -Art in Iowa.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three Days Outside of London- Itinerary ideas needed!

Initial thoughts ? Way too much for 3 days.

BB

Dubuque, IA
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three Days Outside of London- Itinerary ideas needed!

Agreed. That little list is the menu of possibilities, places we'd be interested in visiting. I think we'd be happy to visit just 3 or maybe four of them.

-Art in Dubuque

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three Days Outside of London- Itinerary ideas needed!

Hi Art. In which case you need to narrow your field further if you are just planning 3 days, in my opinion. As you are planning to start your trip from Edinburgh by train, I'll leave it to the rail travel experts to suggest which town/city its most convenient to head for to begin with.

My guess is Stratford, or most likely Cambridge. See what they suggest first and we can take it from there.

BB

Barnard Castle...
Level Contributor
239 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three Days Outside of London- Itinerary ideas needed!

Here's one idea:

Train from Edinburgh to York. Allow a day in York. Then auto to Stratford. Allow 1/2 day only in Stratford. On from there to Oxford /the Cotswolds. On from there to London.

That way you'll minimise travel time and maximise enjoyment.

5. Re: Three Days Outside of London- Itinerary ideas needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 04:17