We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

Preston
Level Contributor
251 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

I am travelling to Gatwick Airport from London Victoria in October. When I have been in London previously I have often seen Gatwick coaches leaving from stops on Buckingham Palace Road betweeen the bus and rail stations. However, I cannot think of the names of the companies. I know National Express do the run but there were other coaches - blue I seem to remember. Any ideas and do you have to book?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

I don't know of any 'blue' coach companies but is there some reason why you would not go by train - much easier and quicker even on Southern which has advance fares for as little as £3?

http://www.southernrailway.com/

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

The coach journey from central London to Gatwick is a long'un; the rail journey is considerably easier and faster, with fares from a fiver if you book in advance. The alternate to National Express coach service is the easyBus from West Brompton to LGW.

At what time do you have to be at the airport and on what day of the week?

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,320 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

Get the train from Victoria to Clapham Junction. Change there for Gatwick. I think it's platform 17 but you can check when you buy your ticket. You can also check the times of the fast trains. If you get it right it should take not much more than 45 minutes.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,161 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

<<< Get the train from Victoria to Clapham Junction. Change there for Gatwick. >>>

Both the Southern Trains & Gatwick Express services run direct from Victoria. There's no need to change trains. If it takes 45 minutes then it's a very bad day as it's normally 30-40 minutes

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

"Both the Southern Trains & Gatwick Express services run direct from Victoria. There's no need to change trains. If it takes 45 minutes then it's a very bad day as it's normally 30-40 minutes"

Is better to buy ticket in advance or the price will be the same in december?

many thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

If you can commit to a specific train, ie the ticket you buy will allow you to travel on a certain train at a certain time only, then fares from London Victoria to Gatwick are on sale from £5 when booked in advance.

Buy on the day (or in advance) Anytime fares, good for any Southern train departing Victoria for the airport, cost £11.90.

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

"If you can commit to a specific train, ie the ticket you buy will allow you to travel on a certain train at a certain time only, then fares from London Victoria to Gatwick are on sale from £5 when booked in advance.

Buy on the day (or in advance) Anytime fares, good for any Southern train departing Victoria for the airport, cost £11.90."

Is difficult for a traveller buy ticket in advance, the train is one...

but the price is very good

Maybe for the return......

What time/day in advance?

thanks

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,631 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

If you know for sure the train you want to catch then you can book anytime from roughly 10-12 weeks before. Generally speaking the sooner the better but I had a look and at the moment you can still book some services for £5 for a journey tomorrow lunchtime.

So if you have access to a computer whilst you here then you can save a little money by buying the return ticket a day or two before your departure.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,935 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

Since there at least eight trains between Victoria and Gatwick every hour (four Gatwick Express and five Southern Railway) is there really any point in trying to nail down one particular train on a certain day several weeks ahead? If you don't make it, you lose your money and have to pay the full fare anyway.

Level Contributor
1,150 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Victoria to Gatwick Airport

Thanks.

Well, in case I loose the train, my ticket is rubbish or I can pay the difference (6£) ?