We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hampton Court

Troy
Level Contributor
219 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Hampton Court

Is it possible to do Hampton Court and Syon House in one day??? Also, is South Hampton worth doing for a day?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,364 Reviews
from US$130.60*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,131 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.70
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
519 Reviews
from US$117.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$347.80*
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hampton Court

A lot depends on what you mean by "do".??

It's possible to visit bothplaces in the same day, yes. But it would be an awkward journey between the two.

Southampton is worth it, if you want to catch a cruise liner, or ferry to the Isle of Wight, but is not usually high up the list for day trips from London....

What are your interests, etc,?

Edited: 23 September 2010, 15:06
Troy
Level Contributor
219 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hampton Court

Thanks for your response. We're interested in history and architecture and have day trips planned to the Cotswolds and Stratford, Windsor Castle, and Bath. I think my husband is getting too ambitious!

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,827 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hampton Court

I believe most people spend most of a day at Hampton Court, including travel time from Central London, lunch, etc.

I suppose you could travel between the two on SWTrains. But I think you would be seeing one of them in the dark, which would be a shame, as the exteriors and the gardens are an important feature .

I'm not sure there are a lot of tourist attractions in Southampton - I think it was bombed flat in the war - I could be wrong though. Portsmouth looks much more interesting if you want to go to the South Coast.

Presumably you realise Southampton is nowhere near Hampton Court?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,081 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hampton Court

Quickest public transport between HCP & Syon House would take about 90 minutes

And given your interests I can't see why Southampton would be on your list at all

Troy
Level Contributor
219 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hampton Court

Thanks for your input! I will pass along info to my husband.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,472 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hampton Court

Hampton Court is really wonderful, and if done properly, should be most of a day.

You can combine Windsor with Eton, which is just across the bridge.

Stratford is very....well, it felt very Disneyesque. I really didn't get much out of my visit there. Bath is a beautiful place, but I wouldn't combine it with anything else.

To really see the Cotswolds, I would rent a car. And stay one night, at least.

England looks small, but traveling from point to point takes time.

Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hampton Court

Get the bus from Hampton Court to Kingston, then the 65 to Richmond then overground to Syon Park...an hours journey tops, I live round this area!

I agree with the person that suggested Windsor & Eton riverside, you can get the overground from Richmond to there, too.

Troy
Level Contributor
219 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hampton Court

Thank you all for your suggestions and support!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,101 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hampton Court

I'm not sure why you want to see Syon Park, but if you think about places as being on spokes on a wheel, with central London at the centre of the wheel.....

It is VERY easy to get from the centre to almost any attraction on the edge of the 'wheel'.

It is VERY awkward to get around the edge of the wheel, eg HCP to Syon House.

Why not combine Syon House with one other place on the same 'spoke'? EG Kew Gardens, Kew Palace? Brentford museums, etc etc.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hampton Court

Hmm, would it be possible to take a ferry from Hampton Court to Kew Bridge, walk across the bridge and get a bus (237 or 267) to Syon House? Architecturally speaking in this area Chiswick House is extremely important; and Marble Hill House in Twickenham has a very romantic history.