We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Great Western procedures

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
First Great Western procedures

Hi, all: My mom and I will be going to Bath from London Paddington in two weeks. The tickets are purchased and I know that they can be collected from a kiosk at Paddington with the credit card I used to purchase them. Question is: is that all that needs to be done? Can I simply print the tickets and board the train? Do I need to present the tickets to someone or check in somewhere prior to boarding?

Oh, and any way to find out the platform for the train prior to our arrival at Paddington? Or will it be posted in the station somewhere? Is 45 minutes at Paddington enough time to print the tickets and board the train?

Thank you for your help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Great Western procedures

You may have to present the tickets at the gate onto the platform, or you may be able to walk straight though.

You then just seek out the carriage named on your seat reservation slip (you will have just one of those for the two of you, not one each).

The carriages have a door at each end, which is labelled with the numbers of the seats nearest it. You can get to all the seats from either door - it's just that if you are at the far end, you'll need to fight your way down the whole carriage, amid the mayhem of everyone finding their seats. Just like getting on a plane, really :)

For luggage, anything up to a medium size suitcase or largish backpack will probably fit into the overhead rack (just like on an aeroplane, this is first come , first sered). Very large cases will need to go in the racks at each end of the carriage, just inside the doors.

45 minutes is plenty of time. I have done it in less than 5, but 45 mins is more comfortable :) The platform the train probably won't be announced until about 10 mins before departure. It will be displayed on the main departures board on the concourse; trains are listed left to right in order of scheduled departure time, covering the next 15 to 30 mins.

Every platform (track actually, but we call them platforms) is numbered, but bear in mind that each physical platform serves two tracks, one on each side, so make sure that you are heading for the correct side.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Great Western procedures

Perfect - Thanks so much for your help! :)

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Great Western procedures

I think at Paddington, you insert your (cardboard) ticket into a slot at the turnstile, the turnstile allows you to go through, and then the ticket pops up through a slot for you to collect on the other side....easy. Have a great trip!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,760 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Great Western procedures

You must ensure you have your tickets before travelling, as Penalty Fares apply when travelling on First Great Western. Make sure you collect *all* the coupons from the ticket machine.

At ticket barriers insert your ticket into the slot at the right front of your gate (print side up, magnetic strip down), the ticket pops up, pull it out and the gate will open. Keep your ticket for checks on train and at the other end, there may be barriers or manual inspection at exit.

All platforms at Paddington have electronic train departure boards and announcements, there will be big departure boards on the concourse. The live departure boards are also accessible by web or mobile phone

ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/ldbboard/dep/PAD

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Great Western procedures

Plattform 1 at Paddington you can walk straight on to - no barriers. The rest of the platforms used by FGW long distance trains have barriers. - the suburban platforms also have them but they seem to be fitfully operational;. HEX has no barriers.

Coach A is nearly always at the far end of the train from the barriers.. B C D etc are closer. First class is nearest the barriers unless a train is the 'wrong' way round.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Great Western procedures

Just to add to all the great advice already given, keep hold of your ticket as there may be ticket barriers or an inspector collecting tickets as you exit the platform at Bath.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Great Western procedures

Not only will you need a ticket to get out of the station at Bath, but there will almost certainly be a ticket check at some point during the journey.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Great Western procedures

Excellent information and tips - Thanks, guys!

9. Re: First Great Western procedures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2011, 06:54