We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adam <~> Covent Garden

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Adam <~> Covent Garden

Adam you had mentioned the other day about Covent Garden. I was watching a great ole movie called Great Expectations and they mentioned Covent Garden. Really makes me look forward to the market areas, plenty of shops. Even if you don't spend money the ambience is good enough.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,252 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

onward- Covent Garden is one of those buzzing places that tourists and Londoners alike both love. One of my favourite ways to spend an afternoon in London is to wander round Covent Garden on a sunny day and then sit in a street cafe with a glass of wine and watch the world go by.

I ♥ Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

I wanted to go to Covent Garden while I was in London in Dec. 2005 but had 3 days to see London. I wish to go back to London this year and explore that area (Covent Garden. I bet it's much like Faneuil Hall in Boston. Is there Shops and food courts? Is there a offical website of Covent Garden?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,236 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

AK, yes there is: http://www.covent-garden.co.uk/

I found Faneuil Hall to be quite different from Covent Garden, however.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

Try http://www.covent-garden.co.uk/. Personally, I think Covent Garden is a lot better than Faneuil Hall. It's got more shops and eating places.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

There are several websites for Covent Garden, if you Google it you will come up with them.

Covent Garden is not what it was when your movie was made, Onward.

It is now a rather nice outdoor mall with some nice little shops and foodie places; there is no real market to speak of anymore.

Have a look at the artisans in the Apple market( think that's what it's called) they have interesting little things to pick up and take home that are not the usual tourist tat.

Have a look at the following webiste for the 'real' Covent Garden, all beit the New version.

www.cgma.gov.uk/

I ♥ Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

Thanks for the good advice on websites. I am relieved to here the Covent garden is not at all compared to Fanueil Hall Marketplace. I live in Boston and I avoid going there if I can 'cause it has too many tourist and it's really expensive...so in other words...total rip off! Does the Covent Garden have plenty of outdoor cafes, small shops, and nice scenary?

Southern California
Level Contributor
368 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

I was in Covent Garden quite a bit during my visit in December 2005. There is the Jubilee Market which is like a US flea market. On Mondays the dealers sell antiques, on Tuesday-Friday it's modern goods and on the weekend the dealers sell arts and crafts. I picked up a Toby mug for my mother from there on a Monday.

I ♥ Boston
Level Contributor
238 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

What's in the Soho area? Westend? Any night club recommendations? I am in my late 20's and looking for a ncie place to dance. Hip hop, techno, latin,house or pop.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,606 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

AKhaalid,

Could be worth starting a fresh post re nightclubs. When you get here an inverstment in Time Out magazine is well worthwhile. It carries listings for all the big nightclubs. The website (www.timeout.com) is also useful.

Onward,

Covent Garden does remind me a little of Quincy Market & Fanueil Hall, both are situated in an historic part of the city, both have restaurants, street entertainers, shops and markets and both attract tourists and are fun to wander round in a touristy kind of way.

Now back in the days of Charles Dickens, the old fruit and veg market wasn't such a nice place to be...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adam <~> Covent Garden

Anemone ~> I wasn't too sure if Londoners had moved on past dressing and behaving as they had in Charles Dickens day? Thanks for clarification! ;)

Adam ~> I can just imagine the stuff that would have went on in those open markets. We have some markets here but they are all under a roof. Fun to go to and people watch. I'm taking it that Covent garden is a place with many different shops.

Oh, and I wasn't notified by email that this post was receiving replies.