We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

saw on my news tonight about the latest threat to tourists from the US. the news was that the British government also issued warnings. I guess if someone is already in Europe,there isn't much they can do. the warning here was very vague and didn't offer much information. what about the one issued in England?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

Same here: "British tourists may be in danger from terrorist acts in Europe". Apparently there has been an al-Qaeda plot to carry out co-ordinated attacks in the UK, France and Germany - this was reportedly uncovered a few days ago so I suppose it's what's led to the recent advice.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

I appreciate the state dept being so careful,but the information is just so vague. better to say something than nothing,though.

Glen Mills...
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

My flights and Eurostar reservations are booked and paid for. I look forward to my visits to London and Paris next month.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
656 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

Me too! And frankly I am not going to stay home quivering with fear. I am going to trust the soldiers, police, and goverment to do what they do so well.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

Anyone know how this vague advice differs from the vague advice that has been on the State Department / FCO websites since time immemorial.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

<<I am going to trust the soldiers, police, and goverment to do what they do so well.>>

Well in the latter case thats apparently to help terrorists with their aim of terrorising :-(

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

I think the authorities that publish this guidance should publish along with it their estimated probability of a visitor being seriously affected by it, and show alongside as benchmark of the probabilities of other things, such as being hit by a bus because you look the wrong way crossing the road, having a heart attack, and so on.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,980 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

Alanrow - apparently, a plot's been discovered. No details about it.

So the advice has subtly change from "be careful, because there are bad guys out there".... to "be careful, because we think some bad guys were definitely thinking of doing something in a large population centre"......

Have a nice day and enjoy the Ryder Cup....

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: latest State Dept. alert for US travelers

Keep calm and carry on.

Sorry, I appear to be repeating myself.

London, United...
Level Contributor