We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thames <- The River

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Thames <- The River

I was just wondering if anyone has any favourite spots in which they enjoy a stroll along the Thames River, within the city of London?

Is there a favourite place to have picnic? Is it near the Tower or somewhere else?

Any thoughts?

Reading/London UK
Level Contributor
955 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thames <- The River

Don't know about picnicking, but I love walking along the South Bank from London Bridge past the Palace of Westminster.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thames <- The River

I am trying hard to think of anywhere with benches where you could sit and have a sandwich. There are some outside the Tate Modern and more by the South Bank.

Plenty along the Embankment, but near the traffic and in the gardens, but no river view.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thames <- The River

I agree with Panda, that is probably my favorite spot. I love the view of Parliament and you can see the towers of Westminster Abbey in the background. A few minutes more south and you come acoss Lambeth Palace. The Museum of Garden History (Old St. Mary's church) houses the grave of William Bligh. Love that area. Pub

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thames <- The River

onward,

My favourite walk is along the south bank of the Thames is also between Westminster Bridge and Tower bridge.

I've never stopped for a picnic anywhere though but there is a bit of grass between City Hall and Tower bridge and opposite the Tower of London. There's a picture of it next to City Hall at www.london.gov.uk/gla/city_hall/index.jsp. Also for a panoramic view of the area go to bbc.co.uk/london/…cityhall1_360.shtml and for another view from Tower Bridge go to bbc.co.uk/london/…towerbridge_360.shtml

If you do the walk on a Friday or a Saturday you could stop off at Borough market and pick up some gourmet food for your picnic before proceeding onto Tower bridge.

Borough market is next to London bridge and the website is http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/aboutus.html

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thames <- The River

Hey Pub and all thanks for the tips and all thus far. You mentioned The Museum of Garden History. Have you ever been to that museum?

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thames <- The River

If you have any interest in English gardens, then a trip off the beaten track down to Lambeth is well worth it. Unassuming museum but full of interesting treasures.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thames <- The River

Museum of Garden History on Lambeth Road:

http://www.cix.co.uk/~museumgh/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thames <- The River

Em ~> Thanks for the info. Is that place close in or difficult to get to?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thames <- The River

Em ~> Sorry, stupid of me but I looked at the picture again and saw parliament across the way so it's obviously close in.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Thames <- The River

If you go to There, onward, don't worry, you can stroll along the river from Parliament (nice gardens there to picnic) across Lambeth bridge (bbc.co.uk/london/…lambethbridge_360.shtml) and it's right behind Lambeth Palace. Walk a little further and you'll come to a small pedestrian walkway (on the left) that'll take you into the small Archbishops park.

Alternatively, you can walk along the Albert Embankment from Vauxhall tube/bus/train station, which'll take about 10 minutes to walk, or, if you're coming from the London Eye, walk on the south side of the river, past Westminster bridge for about 10 minutes until you get to lambeth bridge and turn left. There are also quite a few buses but the walk is nice if the weather is mild.

Another nice place for a riverside picnic is Battersea Park, just across the river from Chelsea. It has loads of different areas, sports tracks, a boating lake, a childrens zoo, an Olde English garden, Italian cafe and a huge river frontage near the Bhuddist shrine with nice grass and benches.