We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most authentic pubs in downtown

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Most authentic pubs in downtown

What are the most authentic and fun pubs in the London city center?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

The city centre is a big place so you're going to have to be more precise to get meaningful responses.

A good resource is www.fancyapint.com/

What do you mean by 'fun'? Many see a good pub as a serious institution and fun is perhaps not a word that would necessarily come to mind.

Brits never use 'downtown'. I'm still not sure what it means. I guess city centre as the direct French translation is centre-ville.

Anyway, our pubs are good and many of our beers are excellent. :-)

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

>> 'downtown'. I'm still not sure what it means<<

'Downtown' in the U.S. generally means the same thing as 'city centre' in other places.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

I should clarify: many of our pubs are fun. Many are authentic. I'm not sure very many are both.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,041 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

An authentic one is The Mitre, Ely Court. But it is a place to drink ale and soak up atmosphere- if that's fun for you, it's fun.

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is touristy but dates from 1667- authentic parts, but not a barrel of laughs.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

I think a pub crawl along Fleet Street always does the trick. It gets more "fun" with every pint!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

Difficult one to answer.....there are many pubs that are authentic examples of their type, but the types differ, reflecting a diverse history

There are, literally, hundreds of pubs with history in what you might call central London

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

See if this helps:

www.pubs.com/main_site/heritage_content.php…

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

OK, let's assume Down Town/Centre-Ville etc is an area covering several square miles in London. Down Town can be broken up into several different areas, all with hundreds of pubs offering different things. Fun pubs might be bars with music, in which case head for Soho, Hoxton or Covent Garden. Pubs with character could be found in Clerkenwell, Victoria, Westminster or somewhere slightly off the 'centre'.

McChiddy mentioned Fleet Street which is not a bad call. There are some old pubs, some food pubs but no 'fun' pubs that I recall. That could lead you into Covent Garden though.

The recommendation to check www.fancyapint.com is a good one. You can search by areas of London as well

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

In my view (others' views may vary) a 'fun' pub sounds dire, but an authentic pub is always a good'un.

Ye Olde Mitre has great appeal although it may not look the part; the Cittie of York is always a worthy place for a drink. Call in at the Black Friar and the Jerusalem Tavern. Not too far from Lancaster Gate station is the venerable Victoria, well worth a visit.

The Prospect of Whitby is a bit touristy but certainly has the age aspect on its side - the D3 bus towards Crossharbour calls very near the pub. The Town of Ramsgate is a very nice option to the Prospect of Whitby - take the Overground to Wapping or the 100 towards Shadwell tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…wapping-10913.pdf

brussels
Destination Expert
for Brussels
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most authentic pubs in downtown

It depends on when you want to go. A lot of pubs in the city area are closed fairly early in he evening and not open at all at the weekend.

If you like beer and interesting(ish)pubs here is my list.

Market Porter , Blackfriars , Punch Tavern, Jerusalem Tavern, The Compton,The Mitre, Cittie of York, Waxy o' Conners, the Churchil in Ken Church Street , the Anglesea Arms, the Holly Bush in Hampstead (good for sunday lunch)