We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What To Do for a change?

Norwich, Norfolk
Level Contributor
62 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What To Do for a change?

My partner and I have been to London a few times between us and have seen the major sites and been to the bigger museums. We are coming down to London in November for a few days and are after suggestions of things to do, places to see that we may have missed before.

Quite open to ideas really, just can't afford to do anything ridiculously expensive.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What To Do for a change?

If you page back a month or six weeks there was a great post that had lots of items that were different (and free ... my favorite wordf). One which I picked up on were lectures at Gresham College. You have to sign up online (I even got my "invitation" sent to me via snail mail all the way to the US).

Other museums: Courtauld Gallery ... one of my favorites in London. Kenwood House is fabulous, if for no other reason that their Vermeer, and there are lots of other reasons.

Ones I've not been to but are on my itinerary for next week include Leighton House, the Wallace Collection and Sir John Soanes Museum.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What To Do for a change?

> Kenwood House is fabulous, if for no other reason that their Vermeer... <

Not a lot of people know this... but I have a specific interest in Vermeer. I think Kenwood is the most perfect setting of all the Vermeers I've viewed; it's the closest to how it might actually have been intended to be seen.

Sal mentions the Wallace Collection and Sir John Soane's Museum. They're all excellent and they're all free.

The Geffrye Museum (http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/) rarely gets much of a mention. Excellent, and free.

Jervis Bay...
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What To Do for a change?

RamblinSal

Are you refering to the post "Thread for the financially challenged"? It is "stuck" on the right of the main london page under what to do in London on a budget.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What To Do for a change?

No, there was quite a lengthy thread (2 or three pages) so not quite as long as the famous free one, but it covered "alternative" things to do, not necessarily all free. Might be tricky to find now but I'll have a look.

The Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons is good for passing an hour, and the Wellcome Collection ditto. They're both free. The Wellcome has a fantastic Peyton and Byrne cafe attached to it.

Go bowling at one of London's "boutique" bowling alleys, smaller venues with retro styling, and very grown up food and drinks. Quite unlike your local bowlarama:

http://www.allstarlanes.co.uk/

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,831 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What To Do for a change?

> The Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons is good for passing an hour <

As long as you're not squeamish.

The Huntarian is across the square from Sir John Soane's so they're interesting to do together.

London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What To Do for a change?

Have a read of Time Out before you come down. Almost every event or happening during your stay will be listed there:

http://www.timeout.com/london/

However, have you explored the many markets, especially Portobello, Borough, Greenwich and Camden? All are distinctly different types of market in distinctly different areas of the city:

http://www.londonmarkets.co.uk/

How about exploring the 'villages' of London, those more peaceful, greener and leafier areas away from the hustle and bustle of the West End:

http://www.visitlondon.com/areas/villages/

Check for any film premieres during your visit and take your place next to the red carpet for a bit of star spotting:

http://www.premierehub.com/

w.sussex
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What To Do for a change?

I think walking around London is a great way to spend a few days. Sure you have "done" the main thoroghfares but don't believe strolling down the odd side street will not give you just as much delight.

Anyone mentioned Borough Market ? A definite must do for any remotely foodie type.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What To Do for a change?

Have you been to Richmond? The Park and riverside are superb,with views across London to Canary Wharf, and up the Thames valley to Windsor.

Lots of good shops, pubs and eating places. Historical houses (eg Ham House, Marble Hill House, etc and river trips.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What To Do for a change?

This is the thread I was referring to: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k38561…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What To Do for a change?

This was my list of museums to see after 5 previous trips. I managed to get to three of them.

Dulwich Picture Gallery (Gallery Road; 020- 8693 5254; dulwichpicturegallery.org.uk) Open Tues-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat-Sun 11am-5pm; admission £5.

Guildhall Art Gallery (www.guildhall.cityoflondon.gov.uk) Gresham Street, Barbican, Greater London EC2P 2EJ (020 7606 3030) Open Daily 10am-5pm Free after 3:30 and on Friday

Museum of London London Wall, London EC2Y 5HN (www.museumoflondon.org.uk)

Monday to Sunday: 10am-6pm Last admission: 5.30pm, admission is free

Sir John Soane’s Museum 13 Lincoln's Inn Fields, Camden Town, London WC2A 3,

(020 7405 2107) Tuesday to Saturday, 10-5pm, admission is free

New London Architecture museum, The Building Centre, 26 Store St, WC1E 7BT (7636 4044/www.newlondonarchitecture.org). Mon- Fri: 9.30 am - 6.00 pm Sat: 10.00 am - 5.00 pm, admission is free

Imperial War Museum, Lambeth Road, SE1 6HZ, open daily 10.00am - 6.00pm, free

Churchill War Rooms, Clive Steps, King Charles Street, SW1A 2AQ (020 8203 0130) Open daily 9:30 - 18:00. £11 for adults

The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, SW1A 1AA Open daily 10:00-17:30 (last admission 16:30). Adult £7.50

New City Hall, The Queen's Walk, London SE1 2AA Mon-Thur 8.30am to 6pm and Fri 8.30am to 5.30pm., admission is free

British Library, 96 Euston Road next to King's Cross and St Pancras stations, M-F 9:30-6, Sa 9:30-5; Su 11-5, free

Geffrye Museum Kingsland Road, London, E2 8EA, Tues - Sat 10am - 5pm Sun & Bank Holiday Mon 12 - 5pm free, almshouse admission £2

Saatchi Gallery, Duke of York’s HQ, King’s Road SW3 4SQ, daily 10am-6pm, last entry 5:30pm, admission is free