We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
around about ireland
Level Contributor
336 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

Is this a must see in london, I know that the national gallery is located here, but is it worth going out of your way to visit it.

thanks for any help

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

I wouldn't miss it. It has fountains.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm naughty. It's a square and it has Nelson's Column. You'll probably pass by it so have a look. It's not something to go visit in itself.

Edited: 15 October 2010, 19:03
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

It has Nelson's Column with the lions guarding it. It has four plinths with statues, one of the plinths gets a different/quirky statue every so often. It is the centre of London (where all the distances are measured from). It has the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and St-Martin-in-the-Fields with its concerts by candlelight and cafe in the crypt. It was lovely views of Big Ben. It's a stone's throw from Whitehall, Horse Guard's Parade, The Mall and Admiralty Arch (leading to St James's Park and Buckingham Palace). It is another stone's throw from Leicester Square, Charing Cross Road with the bookshops and even Covent Garden.

Not only is it a must see in its own right, it is also so close to everything, that one wonders what you're planning to see in London if Trafalgar Square is out of your way!

P.S. The fountains look lovely at dusk and there are also special events on the square itself on a regular basis.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,228 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

Frankly you haven't got time in your schedule to fit this in as well on this occasion. Your other intended sites are at least near each other.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k399…

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

The 'centre of London' is at Charing Cross. It's very near Trafalgar Square but it's not the same place.

See if you can spot what's wrong with Landseer's lions. He'd never seen a live one when he made the statues.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

the view from there isn't too bad either,looking down toward Parliament and big ben. the other attraction is St.martin's in the Field,for the church itself, brass rubbing centre and the free concerts during the week.

Tinsey,didn't mean to repeat what you already said!

Edited: 15 October 2010, 19:25
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

No probs at all :-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,684 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

If you want to know you are in London, its a place to go.

Stand there and look around. If you like you can tick off a few sights - Big Ben, Nelson, Buck Palace, St Martins in the Field.

The buildings around it are wonderful, and there is almost always something going on.

Without knowing what you are interested in and where else you are going (Dungeon?), its hard to say if its worth it. I think you'd be daft to visit London and not see it.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

What Tinsey said. I think walking through the square itself is a bit of a pain but that's only because it's full of inconsiderate tourists who won't let me enjoy it all to myself and who clog it up. ;-) Seriously, it's a pretty square in its own right with the fountains, the lions, the statues, and of course Nelson's column.

My favourite painting is at the National Gallery so I go in there quite often. It's worth an hour of your time too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,681 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

You can see Buck Palace from Trafalgar Square?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is there much to do in trafalgars sqaure

"is there much to do"

LOL. Thats an argument for only going somewhere with an amusement park.

"That Big Ben, its rubbish, nothing to do there, all you could do was look at it, why isn't there a helter-skelter round the outside?"