We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

How much time should we allow to check in for London to US flight? Is Heathrow easy to navigate? Any and all info would be helpful...flying November 24th.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

Also, an 11.40am departure means a 9.40am check in. You will therefore be travelling in the London rush hour. For that time of day, allow more tme than less, so 3 hours plus.

Time and time again I have seen people delayed, from not allowing enough time. ...and the airlines wont go for a oh pleeeaaaaseeee let me check in, cos the answer wont be favourable.

Sorry to put a dampener on things but don't underestimate travellng time. It will be far less stressful for you.

Have a great trip.

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,427 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

For leaving on American out of T3, I allow a minimum of 3 hours. In Sept when I was there, they had added on extra security at the bag drop which slowed things down, so I would probably now leave 3-4 hours. I don't know if that was only American or not, though. I have also found that the gates can be a very long walk from the waiting area where they post the gates, but that is T3, I have never flown from T4.

I tend to leave extra time, though, as I would rather sit around at the airport than have to worry about missing my plane if something doesn't go exactly as planned.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,674 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

btgm,

FYI the departures at T4 are a *little* bit more like O'Hare, as in the gates are part of the lounge area and more, open plan; rather than T3 where everyone stays in the central area and then heads to the "holding pen" for boarding. That said, some of the gates are a long slog from security.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
24. Re: How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

Get to the airport at least 2.5 hours before your flight departure. Heathrow is busy at all times. But, you have amenities and you'll not find any kind of problems.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

That sounds crazy.

We are arriving On Delta 6 from detroit at 7:40 am from detroit. Is that the flight you are talking about/ We have a car service that is picking us up and charges for parking by the hour. Should we tell them to adjust for that and how long should that be

or find another service that doesn't charge for [parking?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,907 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

Pathfinder, if you're thinking the discussion of two and a half to three hours 'sounds crazy' that's because it's in reference to a departure from Heathrow rather than an arrival.

T4 has a handful of long haul services - most likely chockablock full - that arrive between 0630 and 0730. In theory, passport control should be staffed such that pax are cleared in good time but with flights from all over the world the queues could be slow for those not holding UK or EU passports. Baggage usually gets to the belts at T4 in good time; you may be through the formalities and ready to leave the airport by 0830 - 0845.

If you arrive on a weekday, though, traffic volumes on the M4 / A4 could still be heavy, so allow about an hour to central London by car.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

"That sounds crazy.

We are arriving On Delta 6 from detroit at 7:40 am from detroit. Is that the flight you are talking about/ We have a car service that is picking us up and charges for parking by the hour. Should we tell them to adjust for that and how long should that be, or find another service that doesn't charge for [parking?"

I think that refers to my parenthetical comment about arrival at T4. I didn't mean to have the thread run off-topic. There are plenty of other recent threads about arrival and car pick-up service.

But I think I owe Pathfinder a response here: our Delta flight 3 from JFK was scheduled to arrive at 7:05 am. In fact it landed right around 7:40 (there was a problem at JFK). That might have accounted for some of the crowding we experienced. I don't think I'm exaggerating how bad it was at that time, but maybe TP's estimate is more typical.

Regarding car pickup-service policies, I think it's best to look for previous threads, and I don't think anyone here will object to your starting a new one.

-- Steve

28. Re: How crazy is Heathrow Airport? London to US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 05:16