We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Travle

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holiday Travle

We will be in London during the Holiday Season. What can we expect to be open (or closed) during that time of year? We arrive on Christmas Day and depart on New Years Day.

I would also like to surprise my husband with Arsenal tickets for December 26 (he told me they traditionally play on Boxing Day, which also is our 1st wedding anniversary) Can I wait until we arrive to purchase tickets or should it be done in advance?

Where can I find a schedule for the changing of the guards for the winter/holiday season?

Thank you!

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Travle

And...I suppose it doesn't matter, as the hotel is already booked, but, what can you tell me about The Royal Park Hotel?

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Travle

Check out this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k39999…

Try doing a search on this board for "London open close"....that's what I did and there were numerous threads from this year and last to give you an idea.

…about.com/od/…ChristmasLondon.htm

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Travle

Actually the search I did was "Christmas open close", not London :-o

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Travle

Thanks!

I think I read somewhere the public transportation will be closed.....is this true???

I assumed we could take the Express from Heathrow to Paddington...I hope we can or it might be a LONG walk to our hotel...

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Travle

What you have seen is correct, there are no tube, train or bus services operating in London, or anywhere in Britain, on Christmas Day. I believe that Heathrow Express does run a service using a replacement bus to Paddington.

Also there is no way you will be able legally to get tickets on the day for an Arsenal match.

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Travle

The link to the HEX website is below. Other tubes and trains and also buses will not be operational, neither will pretty much anything else, apart from a small selection of restaurants and odd corner shops. Public transport does resume to a reduced service on Boxing Day. Aside from the HEX ticket, I suggest you book anything else that you need.

heathrowexpress.com/Home/christmastimetable

I would book the football tickets. Here's the website:

http://www.arsenal.com/membership/buy-tickets

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Travle

Also, be aware transport will be rather slow on New Years Day and ideally I would book a taxi in advance as things and people will still be recovering from the night before.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Travle

Remaining tickets for premier league games are only released to the public a few weeks before the game, and only if members have not taken up the full allocation. In Arsenal's case, they rarely get to the stage where they are released to the public, they have a strong following.

Arsenal don't play on Boxing Day, they play on the 27th of December. The very bad news for you is that they are playing fierce rivals Chelsea, meaning that the game will be sold out long before tickets are released to the public. I fear you have very little chance (if any) of getting to this game through normal public release channels.

If you wanted to try your hand at membership, tickets go on sale to Silver members on 27th of October (though silver memberships are sold out this season) and to Red members on 29th of November. Red membership costs, I think, £30 per season. This is not a guarantee that you will be able to buy tickets by the way, and for a game like Chelsea it's still unlikely.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,897 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Travle

The HEX will offer a replacement bus service to and from London Heathrow and London Paddington, with two buses an hour until mid-afternoon on the 25th.

The link below was created last year, but will give you an idea of opening times. Should you want further specifics do have a look at the relevant website or drop an email to enquire if holiday hours have been sorted out yet.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k316818…

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Travle

Xmas time table for HEX :

www.heathrowexpress.com/christmas-timetable