We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Village area closest to centre

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Village area closest to centre

Hi All, this looks like a busy forum!, anyway myself and 2 friends are heading to London in feb with our 3 13yr old daughters for their birthdays, we are looking for somewhere close ish to centre with a not too far tube run, something with a village atomosphere i.e with nice wee local resturants,pubs, local shops we dont want to be going to the "chain resturants or the pic circus leister square type eateries, I liked greenwich and wandsworth/ southfeilds/wimbeldon areas but the're a bit far out for travel, is there anything closer, that would be similar to those places in terms of atmosphere. there are good choices of accomodation in earls court/kensington/fullam/ but I know nothing about those areas, any advice would be great thanks.

shazza

Essex
Level Contributor
28,413 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Village area closest to centre

er NO I think is the true answer

still you could have a look at:

Islington

Hampstead

Richmond

Dulwich

Earls court is definitely nothing like a village. Kensington might just about suit you as it is a nice area, but also a very expensive area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Village area closest to centre

Try Clerkenwell / Exmouth Market I guess they have a villagey feel, they certainly have a lot of bars and restaurants. Farringdon tube would be closest.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Village area closest to centre

The Millenium Bailey in Kensington is frequently mentioned here as a good place to stay and is across the street from Gloucester Road tube station, which should get you anywhere you want to go.

Cons; there is a Starbucks, a Tesco and a Costa on that street, and I think the HoHo bus has a stop in front of that Underground station. Maybe that would kill your atmosphere. Still and all, it is a pretty good place to stay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
659 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Village area closest to centre

Notting Hill is probably the closest to a village atmosphere that is still very near the centre. A beautiful neighbourhood full of many independent bars and restaurants, and once you step away from the popular Portobello Rd, it's very quiet and peaceful.

A little further out, Clapham is a possibility. As is Little Venice, Primrose Hill and Hampstead.

Going back to places being "too far out to travel", places like Greenwich and Wimbledon are only 15-20mins away from the centre by train and Greenwich has several hotels within a very short walk of the railway station (one is right outside the station). Stay near the stations and your 'front door-to-centre' travel time is almost unnoticeable.

South London
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Village area closest to centre

I would say go for Wimbledon - Its not that far!

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Village area closest to centre

Earlsfield?

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Village area closest to centre

thanks for advice I will check out notting hill, never looked for apartments in wimbeldon as I thought its a bit far, last time I was in greenwich it seemed to take an age to get there buy tube and train, dont remeber DLR going anywhere close but it was 15 years ago!! If were going to have a half hour+ journey back from centre then we will def want somewhere we can dander to with the girls for the evening.

cheers will keep looking and if any one has any more ideas they'll be most welcome half the fun of a break is to research!!lol

Shazza

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Village area closest to centre

> last time I was in greenwich it seemed to take an age to get there buy tube and train, <

Where were you starting from? Where will you be starting from this time?

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Village area closest to centre

www.visitrichmond.co.uk/accommodation.asp

You could always think about Richmond, which is on the District line, and also 30 minutes from Waterloo by train. Scroll down the above page or send them an email.

Portrush, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Village area closest to centre

Ok we were travelling from Wembley and it took an hour and a half. If we did stay in greenwich we would be coming from city centre this time, we'll be doing the tourist things in the city, I would prefer a spot to stay with a tube station handy, I dont know what the DLR is like and if its as handy as the tube,( I love the underground network system you have) Ideally we wouldnt want to be any more that 20/30 mins out from picadilly, if you take that as the centre.and we wont be travelling at rush hours.