We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And people ask: why do you love England so much?

St. George Utah
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
And people ask: why do you love England so much?

Next week I return to England for my 22nd visit there. People often ask why do you keep returning to England? The answer is complex but usually involves the words "the people and their kindness." Here is an example of the most current reason I love England so much: I recently e-mailed Hooper's Department Store in Royal Tunbridge Wells to ask when they unveil their Christmas windows. I had the serendipitous opportunity to be there in 2007 just at the moment of the opening of the windows.The manager responded that the unveiling events will occur on November 6th. When I indicated that that was our arrival date but that we would come down from London to see them later in our visit, he replied with an invitation to meet him whilst at Hooper's. This is truly extraordinarily kind.

Highly recommend that if your schedule allows the opportunity to be in Royal Tunbridge Wells on November 6th that you pop into Hooper's. Special surprises will await I am certain.

Oh, to be in England once again!

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

Utahwoman I know what you mean!! I have been there 19 times and hopefully trip number 20 will be next year. An anglophile to the fullest extent, I am.

The people and the kindness rank right up there, along with good theatre, excellent museums, spectacular cathedrals....ok, I won't go on all day.

All the people I know in the U.S. get sick of me talking about Britain, but that's just the way I am :-)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,011 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

Ahhh, that warms the cockles of my heart! I'm glad there are such thoughtful people around. But it does work both ways (or globally, rather).

When I was a nurse at a summer camp in Maryland back in the 80s, the parents of the American counselors/staff thought nothing of inviting us Brits to join their offspring at their homes. They'd drive 20-30 miles each way just to do so. When I got home to the UK, and was was doing some agency work, I was given a lift part of my way home, but the other person didn't want to drive the extra mile or so to take me to my house. So... I've never forgotten the kindness and generosity of the Americans I met. Which in part goes to explain why I'm always happy to arrange meet ups over here... 'paying it back'.

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

Ahhh, nice thing to say Gilligan. Maybe I'll join you next time I'm there. P.S. I'm a Stonehenge fan too.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
7,011 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

You'll be most welcome, coden :-)

Indiana
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

I've only done 4 trips so I guess I'm a novice. But the latest trip was just last month and as soon as my daughter and I landed back in the States we looked and each other and said we were homesick already. I'd be happy to take no other trips but to England. It's like an old friend.

California
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

I'll be making my 10th trip since 2002, primarily because my husband is a native and his family still lives outside London (we were married in 2002). But, now it has become my home away from home and sometimes I think I know my away around the city better then he does! I can't wait to get back next month and start my trip with a toasted cheese sandwich from Borough Market. MMMmmmm.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

I have been to the US a few times, most recently a couple of trips to Chicago although my hotel was out at Oak Park. The people there were lovely, kind, friendly, polite and always ready to say "hi" wheh they heard my accent.

Britain does sometimes get bad press via a tiny minority of idiots, particularly their habits when abroad on holiday but it's always great to hear that our American cousins like and appreciate our little islands so much.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

"Old friend," that's how I feel. For me a couple of weeks poking around London, doing some country walking, is as relaxing as spending time zonked out on a tropical beach. All it lacks is the mai-tais.

Planning the 13th, or is it 14th?

And one note--it seems there are very kind people everywhere--as well as annoying ones. But those who don't travel never realize this.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

Gilligan, who wouldn't pick you up- you're great fun!

I'm only a novice at 5 also. I can name a thousand things I love about London and the UK. Mainly the humor and spirit of the people, and the landscape.

More importantly, and not to sound all mystical and daft, but it immediately felt like the home of my soul.

I wonder sometimes, because my family comes from England (and Ireland) if there really is some genetic recognition

Edited: 29 October 2010, 22:08
space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: And people ask: why do you love England so much?

I love London because...

it's my home away from home. My family has a flat in Ruislip, so I vist 1 to 3 times a year. In the summer I stay for about 5 or 6 weeks.

Friendly neighbors in Ruislip; always willing to help me out when needed.

Wonderfulful TALFers I've met! Always willing to offer help when needed as well!

Love the markets in London and Greater London too!

Every time I go to London I find someplace new to visit; near and UK side trips.

Love the History!

Love the Pubs!

Cheap trips (flight and trains) to other countries in Europe. It's cheaper to travel in Europe than most places in US because of the great, inexpensive transportation options. As long as I plan ahead!

I could keep going on, but I'll stop now. Cant's wait to return Dec. 27th!

I