We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for hotel in Mayfair

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for hotel in Mayfair

Attending a party in Cork Street and need somewhere to stay close by. .Also where is The Ivy in relation to the area . The Ivy is booked up for dinner at the time we can allow time to be there how does it fair at lunch time.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for hotel in Mayfair

What is your budget? I'd recommend either the Chesterfield Mayfair or the Cavendish in Jermyn Street. The latter has had some good weekend rates lately - as little as £139. Weeknights are pricier.

The Ivy is in Covent Garden. about 1km away. You can walk it in 15 mins or so by taking Piccadilly up to Shaftesbury Avenue all the way to West Street, where The Ivy is located.

If you don't fancy the walk, the 38 bus will take you most of the way there from the stop outside the Royal Academy.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for hotel in Mayfair

Another vote for the Chesterfield Mayfair. The Marriott on Grosvenor Square is nice too, rates are as low as £150 pn if you can book 4 weeks in advance.

Lunch bookings at the Ivy are easier to come by than dinner bookings, but it's still adviseable to book ahead as soon as you know when you plan to be there. It's still popular, despite it being more about the fame rather than the food. I think the lunch at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon (just down the street) is far better value... stellar cooking at lower prices than The Ivy. £27 for 3 courses or £22 for 2 courses. The Ivy charge £22 for a risotto. And the Ivy do a burger on their menu. Mm, special.

http://www.joel-robuchon.net/

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for hotel in Mayfair

Yet another vote for the Chesterfield Mayfair

The rooms are not large (well ours was not ) but its one of the best hotels in London

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for hotel in Mayfair

Thank you for your suggestions even though they all head in the same direction. A chic boutique bed and breakfast would have sufficed but my fault for putting the word hotel. We will stick to The Ivy though as I did look at the website of the one suggested and it took so long to load I thought if the service was as slow I would be stuck there too long.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for hotel in Mayfair

"my fault for putting the word hotel"

I think it's more that you've specified Mayfair. I don't know of any B+Bs in Mayfair, it's the most exclusive "block" of London really, posh hotels are commonplace but anything else is thin on the ground. Could you be flexible with location? Fitzrovia and Bloomsbury to the North might have more in the way of B+Bs.

Hope you enjoy the Ivy. You're right that Joel Robuchon's website is bandwidth heavy so if you're on a slow computer it does appear to be a slow site.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for hotel in Mayfair

My computer does 3800-4000 whatever that means in mega bites maybe!

7. Re: Looking for hotel in Mayfair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 06:53