We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning a trip to london after graduation

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Topic
planning a trip to london after graduation

Hi,

A couple of my college friends and I are thinking of visiting London in June after our graduation.

My cousin was able to give me some of her hotel points to stay 7 nights(for 2 rooms), but the hotel is by Heathrow. I don't mind, since it's going to be a free stay. I'm wondering however, about transportation to Central London.

I was reading about the Oyster travel card - 7 day pass. Do zones 1-6 include the Heathrow stop? thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

Yes, Heathrow is in zone 6.

A couple of points, though. Is the hotel near an underground station? Many of the Heathrow hotels are not convenient for public transport.

Oyster is a means of delivery, not a ticket. You can load a 7 Day Travelcard on to an Oyster although you *may* prefer to buy a paper Travelcard at a rail station (not Heathrow) and use some 2for1 offers (daysoutguide.co.uk). The price of the actual Travelcard is the same.

I wouldn't stay at Heathrow if I could help it. But a free room is a free room.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,408 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

If you let us know which hotel then we can offer more detailed advise but as a rule of thumb you will need to add on at least two hours to your day for travel to and from central London.

Los Angeles...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

Thank you for both your replies!

The free rooms we're getting are at the Sheraton Heathrow hotel. I've read the reviews on here. They're not the best reviews of the hotel, but we just want to see and enjoy London.

Is there an underground station near this hotel, or do we have to go back to Heathrow to take a train to Central London?

My commute to/from school here in LA can sometimes take me 2 hours depending on traffic. So I guess we'll be familiar of the long commute to the city when we get there-one good thing at least I don't have to drive..

thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

You have to take a Hoppa bus to the airport to catch the tube. The bus has a flat fare of £4 per person per journey. It stops running at a little after 11pm.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

you may be able to use the `free' bus service that would take you to Hatton cross underground station...from there it's about 45mns into the tourist areas of London. I'm sure one of the DEs will be along to explain

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

For 7 days visiting London it will be pretty tedious staying at the Sheraton Heathrow. Its not just the 4 extra trips every day (2 each way) and the extra cost (perhaps £10 extra per day each), its also the inconvenience of each day being a full day out.

You'll be unable to pop back to the hotel to drop off shopping or change midway through the day, so any shopping you do you'll have to carry around all day. You'll have to eat in London before heading back each evening as there's not much around the Sheraton.

Also, if breakfast isn't included in the room rate you'll either have to DIY it in your room with things you bought earlier, or pay the likely £20 each at the Sheraton, rather than nip out of the hotel for a cheap cafe breakfast.

Can your cousin not use the points to get you 3 or 4 days at a better situated Sheraton, and then pay for the extra days, or move to a cheaper hotel?

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

Even if you are getting these room free or cheap I would say it is NOT a good idea to stay at a hotel so far out of central London.

Apart from the airport Heathrow is a desolate area and NOT one you would want to stay in for any length of time.

If you do stay near heathrow you miss the chance of seeing an evening show, going for a late meal or late drink.

Please reconsider, or at least book SOME nights nearer to central London.

Note that while central london can be expensive for hotels there are areas just a few miles from the centre that are much cheaper. Try to go for one of them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

Sounds like far too much hassle for what it's worth - and could be expensive too, especially if you decide to stay out in London late once or twice during your stay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

Also keep in mind the tube network stops just after mid-night and the night buses are not frequent/convenient from central London to the Hotel ..

additionally, the hotel is on the main road and there is a bus stop within 2-3 min walk with regular public bus service to Hounslow West tube station .. agree with previous messages, the hotel is in a desolate area but if its free ...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: planning a trip to london after graduation

I agree that this is not the bargin it sounds like. Check out The London School of Economics. They rent spare dorm rooms to tourists. Good central location and the rates seem reasonable. I'd also suggest you do some good research. Check out the Let's Go travel books, Rick Steve's books and websites and Lonely Planet's resources. While London can be expensive, there are ways to reduce those costs without inconvienecing yourselves.