We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Venice, what about?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Little Venice, what about?

Hello,

maybe bacause I came from Veneto I'm a little curious to see "Little Venice". I don't know if touristic attraction or real borough. I prefer the second, of course...

So, I kindly ask if this place is interesting and why.

many thanks!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Venice, what about?

It's a popular inner city area, with a canal and boats, hence the name.

Real place, not tourist attraction.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Venice, what about?

going along the canal is a lovely way to spend a sunday afternoon. start from camden lock and get off in little venice.http://www.jasons.co.uk/

Edited: 09 November 2010, 19:13
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Venice, what about?

londontown.com/LondonInformation/…

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Venice, what about?

Of course it's a masterpiece of imagination over reality because it looks nothing like Venice. It's just a meeting of a couple of canals at a navigation basin just outside of Paddington... one stretch (all along Blomfield Road) is home to many English style narrowboats (see link) who moor there semi permanently. It's quite pretty in a way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrowboat

There are some nice places to eat and drink. The Bridge House Pub, just near the blue bridge over the basin near Blomfield Road, is very nice indeed and the food's good. I'm quite often in there myself of a summer.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Venice, what about?

It is nothing like Venice! :-)

In another part of north London, the area around Clerkenwell was once called "Little Italy" because of all the Italians who lived and worked there, but they have mostly moved away. It is still an interesting part of town with some good Italian restaurants.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
943 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little Venice, what about?

I second the idea of a canal boat from the basin to Camden Town (or the other way round). Though you go through the Zoo, you do not see much of it except the aviary.

Cheers

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little Venice, what about?

Around Little Venice the houses are very nice and very expensive. Following Glyn's point, the Italians who moved into Clerkenwell were mainly 19th Century refugees including supporters of Garibaldi. As well as restauants, there is an Italian Church there which is used by Italians from all over London for christenings, weddings, etc and an Italian driving school where they resumably teach expansive hand signals (srry)..

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,719 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Little Venice, what about?

A favourite ten minute walk of mine is from Warwick Crescent into Delamere Terrace. You can duck under the bridge and walk along the canal bank. At the end of Delamere Terrace there is a foot bridge, cross over and in front of you is The Waterway a very good good gastro-pub, with a terrace to the front.

Tranquillity in the town.

Bon Appetit and Cheers.

Level Contributor
1,149 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Little Venice, what about?

Of course, I don't wish to find venice in the UK, it would be boring ... But I thought it was a place with channels!

You give many interesting suggestions and link, thanks. But I understand it is a place that is best to visit in the summer, right?

I'm intersted to find some hidden places at most touristic paths.

Many thanks!!!

P.S.: Why "bon appetit"? I'm not French!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Little Venice, what about?

I would not recommend a canal ride if you have been on any canals in other cities which are known for their canals (Venice, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Berlin, ... ) I live in London and took a group on this canal tour and everyone was so bored and couldn't wait to get off. They are not comfortable, there are hardly any sights to see on the 40 minute ride, and they are quite slow. Just another opinion, but I think it needs to be said. I would suggest walking part of the canal when its nice out if you get an opportunity.