We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home from England

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Home from England

Got home Tues. after 15 days in England. We saw all we wanted to see and did all we wanted to do, so the trip was a success. Weather was mostly good too. We were there during the tube strike so we took the bus to Victoria stn. to get our train to Brighton. Dont let tube strikes concern you too much, the buses do run!

We've been there before so we had a good idea of how to get around, how to use the underground and the trains. It's easier than I remembered. The St Pancras stn. is gorgeous, and well laid out. We were there many times, and it's so easy to get around there.

We did the usual tourist stuff and quite enjoyed ourselves. I think we've done enough England visiting for a few years, some holidays down south to Mexico are now in order!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home from England

Did you see any plays in London? Where was your best meal in the city?

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home from England

No we didnt go to any plays. The best meal was at the Bluebird pub on Earls Court Rd at Barkston Gardens. I had the Fishermen's pie and OMG was it good! I raved about it for days :-)

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home from England

<< Dont let tube strikes concern you too much, the buses do run! >>

So very true.

Good advice as the buses are very good but a little busier then normal during the strikes so allow a little extra time for your journey(s).

Check out the old Routemaster if you can : )

They'll probably be gone in 2012...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k404…

I prefer the old look still.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home from England

We took the bus from Earls Court tube stn towards Victoria stn. as we were to catch a train to Brighton. The ride was fast at first but the closer we got the busier it got, and when we could finally see Vic. stn., the bus was not going anywhere due to traffic so we got off and walked. We had plenty of time to spare to make our train so we walked over to Buckingham Palace for a look around. Liz was home but once again she didnt invite those of us from the Colonies in for a spot of tea and a biscuit...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home from England

You should've knocked on the door and said "G'day Liz, saw your light on and thought I'd pop in for a chat :-) Put the kettle on love, I'm parched :-) How's Phil and Chilla and the rest of the family? :-)"

Kentucky
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home from England

It always throws me off a second or two when people call QE2 "Liz."

:)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Home from England

It gives me a chuckle when I hear Prince Phillip called "Phil the Greek" LOL

All jokes aside, I think the Queen is a wonderful woman and she does an amazing job - and no matter her age, I still think she's just beautiful with the lovliest smile.

Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Home from England

I've called them Liz and Phil for years, as do many other people I know. It would have been so cool to have seen even a glimpse of her, but I doubt that'll ever happen for me. Ah well, at least I've seen a few of her homes!

9. Re: Home from England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2011, 07:25