We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

Hi all,

Can anyone reccomend a pub where we can get a decent meal near Kensington High St? Any other restarant reccomendations would also be helpful.

Cheers,

Mike

USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

bump.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

I have to admit, all the years I've worked near the area, I've never eaten in a pub. That said, Churchill Arms, 119 Kensington Church Street (nearer the Notting Hill Gate part, rather than the Ken High St part) is meant to serve good Thai food. And The Kensington Arms, 41 Abingdon Road (off Ken High St, near Earls Court Road), is meant to have good traditional English food (go to beerintheevening.com/pubs/…Kensington for user reviews).

london
Level Contributor
88 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

If you want to eat somewhere that has stayed good since the days of Lady Di who loved it try for a table in kensington Place, at the top of Kensington Church St, big restaurant and for what irt is,not too expensive. A good way to see a cross section of a certain kind of London and very friendly, not posh at all or pretentious, but it is a proper restaurant for a special meal.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

I read that the former Catherine Wheel pub on Kensington Church street was to be converted to a Lebanese restaurant. Anyone know if this has happened yet? I once had a bite at The Goat on the High Street but I don't recall it being anything other than the standard fare. Near The Goat on the same side of the street is a place called Cuba which was pretty good when I tried it in '02.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

The Catherine Wheel is definitely closed. I too read that it's going to become a restaurant; don't know if it has re-opened yet or not.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

By the way, Mike, check out any special deals on www.toptable.co.uk. They just sent me an email alerting me to certain special offers, including 25% off at The Tenth at the Royal Garden Hotel, The Royal Garden Hotel, 2/24 Kensington High Street, for up to 6 people. It's worth going to their website to see what else may be on offer during your visit.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

Please try Maggie Jones, but make a reservation at least 1-2 weeks ahead. Wonderful food and great atmosphere!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

The Britannia, a very fine Youngs pub in Allen Street (off the High Street and no more than a 5-6 minute walk from the tube station) has just had a refit. Excellent beer, expensive but good gastropub style food.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good pub food/restaurants in Kensington

To take a virtual walk down Kensington High Street, check out www.streetsensation.co.uk