We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

We will be traveling from the US to London in March for vacation. An acquaintance who lives in London suggested we stay in either Barnet or Brent. We were originally going to stay in Camden (Covent Garden) but he said he didn't think the area was safe or good for kids. Is Barnet/Brent a good area to base our vacation? We will be visiting the typical tourist sites - Tower of london, Buckingham Pal, British Museum, etc. We don't want to have to spend a lot of time traveling. Any suggestions on how to find a hotel or rental flat in Barnet or Brent? Thanks!

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

Serious question, does this acquaintance really live in London ? Camden is no where near Covent Garden, and both Barnet and Brent are outer London suburbs that have very little to offer the average tourist.

Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

yes he really lives in London (in Lewisham). His message to me was "Covent Garden is in the borough of Camden; this is not a good borough in which to live; it is a high crime area (Prostitution, drugs, violence) and I wouldn't recommend it for a family" Since we were originally planning to stay in Covent Garden because it seemed like a good central location, now we are unsure ...

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

Acquaintance must've just moved to sarf London...

Barnet or Brent? If someone recommended that to me and I stayed there (both are fine) I'd be givnig them a piece of me as they are a little out of town and would much prefer to stay in Covent Garden.

<< it is a high crime area (Prostitution, drugs, violence) >>

Maybe they are confused with the Soho part of London which is located next to Covent Garden.

Covent Garden is awesome at night with plenty of bars, clubs, shops and activities to choose from.

Lewisham vs Covent Garden? I'd choose Covent Garden everyday of the week.

If you want something more for kids just let us know what they like to see/do and we'll give you plenty of suggestions on where to stay.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

I stand corrected, Covent Garden is indeed in the borough of Camden so my apologies.

As for the rest of it, your friend is talking absolute tosh. A high crime area ?

I really dont think so. The word scaremongering springs to mind

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

EDIT:

Soho really ain't that bad either and I am very picky where I take my wife (in terms of safety) alot of the time and we've been to Soho with family and friends and while it is certainly different I have never felt unsafe.

If you're with kids you generally aren't around Soho after 11pm anyway.

You'd more like to be around Trafalgar, Covent Garden, or riverside among many other places.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

Covent Garden sits on the edge of Westminster and Camden; the councillors of the former would be more than a little surprised to hear the area referred to one with prostitution, drugs and violence. From Covent Garden to (let's say) Euston Road and east to the City the average visitor would very likely not be able to identify the difference between Camden and the City of Westminster.

The People's Republic of Brent gets more bad (generally undeserved in my experience) press than Covent Garden and Barnet is ... well, it's a long(ish) schlep from the city centre to the end of the Northern line.

Stay in central London; if you have an eye on a flat please let us have the link as another TALFer may have stayed there. If you're considering a hotel please let us know your budget (in ££), how many days you plan in London and the ages of your children.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

I strongly suggest that you ignore any advice from this acquaintance; whether from malice or ignorance they are misleading you. Start again, ignoring everything they have said, look at a map and guide book and decide yourself where would be a good place to stay for what you want to get out of your visit to London.

A good starting point for most tourists would be to stay within the circuit of the Circle (yellow) line of tube. All areas within that are safe (by any city standards), and will be in reasonable distance of some tourist attractions.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,161 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

"A high crime area ?"

There's a high level of threat from mimes & statues.

As for OP's acquaintance - perhaps they live in some Bizarro world version of London

Edited: 29 November 2010, 07:13
SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

<< live in some Bizarro world >>

I was wondering why Bizarro was automatically hyperlinked.

So out of curiosity one just has to click on it.

Well, what do ya know... it's an Italian restaurant... : )

Now my Bizarro might be hyperlinked : P

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice about staying in Brent or Barnet

Your acquaintance doesn't know what they are talking about