We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re: ceiling painting at Winsdor Castle (?)

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question re: ceiling painting at Winsdor Castle (?)

Hi everyone,

This may sound odd but I was in London in 2004 and I can remember one of the painted ceilings had been done so cleverly that as stood in the first doorway she appeared to have her head facing in your direction and as you stood in the doorway to leave it looked like she had turned to heard in your direction.

I *think* this was at Windsor Castle but I just can't remember and I can't find any mention of it in my Windsor books.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It may sound like I'd had too many sherries when I visited but I swear I'm not making it up. If anyone can tell me I'd love to know if it was Windsor and the name of the painting (if possible).

Many thanks.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re: ceiling painting at Winsdor Castle (?)

http://www.answers.com/topic/antonio-verrio

Maybe research Antonio Verrio known for such paintings.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re: ceiling painting at Winsdor Castle (?)

Thank you for your suggestion, he certainly looks likely but I feel that the only way to know for sure will be to revisit Windsor Castle. I think I could probably handle that (although not perhaps just now while England is in a cold snap).

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re: ceiling painting at Winsdor Castle (?)

That would be one way to find out and you could certainly ask the docents or volunteers there. Maybe time for us to visit Windsor on our next trip. We seem to get stuck in London everytime we visit with no side trips.

4. Re: Question re: ceiling painting at Winsdor Castle (?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2011, 06:17