We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Parking

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Torquay
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day Parking

Hello,

Can anyone help me out with parking for the day on a saturday with a good connection to the tube inner areas (Zone 1 and 2), just spending the day there so would like to park the car hop on the tube then to all the places I need to go.

Thanks alot for any suggestions in advance!!.

Matthew

london
Level Contributor
148 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Parking

I am assuming that you are not used to driving in London, which can be a nightmare if your not used to the roads and the aggresive tactics in the big city. I was brought up in cornwall, so assume you will be travelling up on the M4, so I would consider going to the underground car park at Hyde Park. Follow the signs into central London, until you are passing HARRODS on your right. A half mile along you will come to Hyde Park Corner, a huge roundabout, with the park on your left hand side, and a large stately house, (No.1 London, where the Duke of Wellington lived) also on your left at the traffic lights. Take the first turning off this roundabout and you will find yourself on a dual carriageway, keeping the park on your left hand side. You are travelling towards MARBLE ARCH. Keep in the left hand lane, and two thirds of the way along you will see the entrance to a huge public underground carpark which is built underneath the park.

I used this carpark as it is easy to find, and more importantly, easy to get back onto the road back home. It is straight up the motorway, into central london without having to worry about getting around the city. When you walk out of the carpark, there are many pedestrian exits, so head towards Marble Arch or Oxford Street exits, and you find yourself at the end of Oxford street, and the central line underground station at Marble Arch, which is one stop along for the Jubilee Line, and two stops from Oxford Circus for the Bakerloo and Victoria Lines.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited: 04 December 2010, 09:46
Torquay
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Parking

Thanks so much for this, its such a great help!. To be honest i always get the train up and back as its so easy, however this time I have to be very quick so thought it would be easier to use the car :).

Thanks ever so much!!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Parking

Remember to pay the congestion charge if you are driving into central London.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,223 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Parking

CC does not apply on Sats and Suns (when OP is visiting).

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Parking

Missed that. Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Parking

Why pay for parking on a Saturday?

When you get to Hyde Park corner make for Victoria and park up on Victoria St or surrounding turnings. Single yellows not enforced on Saturdays.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
2,986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Parking

" park up on Victoria St or surrounding turnings. Single yellows not enforced on Saturdays."

The area around Victoria Street is controlled Mon-Sat 08:30-18:30. I would NOT advise parking on a yellow line on Saturday anywhere in London unless the signage clearly indicates a Mon-Fri restriction.

I'm puzzled by Matutu's comment that he has to be very quick this time, so he's using the car. The train will always be quicker than driving up from Cornwall. Perhaps he needs the car for a later journey.

The journey up the A4 to Hyde Park Corner sounds simple, but I tried it this morning and needed to make a diversion twice to avoid jams. In particular there are road works in South Kensington which are a pain at present.

On a Saturday, you could park near Chiswick station and take a train to Waterloo (takes 25 minutes, trains run every 15 minutes). To get to Chiswick station, follow signs for Grove Park on A4 just after the end of the M4 (first left on A4, then right and right again into Sutton Court Road, which leads to Chiswick station). You can park on local streets all day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Parking

Richardrfc,

With respect you are dispensing incorrect advice. Single yellows, pay and display and meters are NOT enforced on Saturdays on Victoria St.

The amount of free on street parking in central London at weekends/bank holidays is actually suprisingly plentiful.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Parking

But traffic on the weekend along the Cromwell Road, as Richard rightly pointed out, can be a nightmare so I would agree that the Chiswick option is a good one although I might prefer Hounslow West on the Piccadilly line. It's a very large car park costing only £2.00 per day just a five minute drive from junction 3 of the M4. The other cost would be a one day Travelcard which is currently £7.50 for zones 1-6.

10. Re: Day Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2011, 05:18