We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Musical choices- opinions

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Musical choices- opinions

I am in London for 4 nights starting Monday 27 December. The first night I will need tfor an early night to overcome my jetlag as I am travelling straight through from Australia.

I have tickets already booked for Les Mis (am seeing it yet again after falling in love with it after first seeing it in 1987 in London on a 5 pound ticket!!) for the Wednesday Matinee.

As I need to leave the Tuesday and Wednesday evenings free to meet up with friends that leaves me with Thursday night (possible Tues afternoon if any matinees are on then)

I am looking at 3 choices- Love Never dies, We Will Rock you and I have heard some good reports on the current production of Oliver.

Any opinions on the choices- or any other to throw into the mix would be greatly appreciated,

England
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Musical choices- opinions

Of the three I've only seen We Will Rock You, which I thought was excellent.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Musical choices- opinions

Hi Kameka,

That week is very heavily booked so get cracking and book ASAP. There are no Tuesday matinees that I know of but there are Wed, some Thurs and even some Friday (New Year's Eve) matinees.

I thought Oliver was wonderful and something special to see in London. I would choose a musical that has been written for the theatre. Enjoy Kameka.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,763 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Musical choices- opinions

A number of the big productions are offering extra matinees during that week, so it may be worth looking on their websites.

Which is best depends on individual preferences of course.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Musical choices- opinions

Billy Elliot has a Thursday matinee and is an excellent show.

http://www.billyelliotthemusical.com/home.php

Of the other three, I'd choose Oliver!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Musical choices- opinions

How about Jersey Boys?

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Musical choices- opinions

We saw We Will Rock You the at the end of Nov it was excellent, some friends have just seen Oliver they said it was excellent as well.

If you like Queen I would go for We Will Rock You.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,153 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Musical choices- opinions

Coming from the land of Oz shouldn't "Wicked" be on your short list?

(sorry couldn't help myself)

It is an excellent production with a lot of star power and has garnered many awards. I have friends who have seen it six times.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Musical choices- opinions

Thanks for the replies- Laura I am off to see Wicked here in Brisbane in March when a production visits us so that is why it isn't on the list. Have started the booking process and as I am looking for just a single ticket there are xome available.

London, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Musical choices- opinions

Out of the three you mentioned, I've only seen We Will Rock You, three times so far. I'd really recommend that.

USA
Level Contributor
513 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Musical choices- opinions

Like ElinV, I'm a big Billy Elliot fan, but I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of these choices. Only £5 for Les Mis, WOW! Have a great trip.

Edited: 05 December 2010, 22:18