We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

We are keeping it a Christmas secret from our children that we will be taking them to London at the end of January. If we wait until Christmas to decide whether to do a day-trip to Paris, will all the cheapest fares on Eurostar be sold out? Thanks very much!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

I doubt it, but they could be.....

Why not have a look at the Eurostar site NOW, and see what's available.

And check for any engineering work that might upset your plans.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,466 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

they sell on the same principal as airline tickets, the earlier you buy the cheaper it is, and also the earlier or later in the day will also save you a lot of money, so if you're flexible you can do it cheap. I travelled to Brussels last Sunday, outbound price was £34, that's a bargain. (Coming back however was a nightmare due to snow delays, but that's another story....).

Although Paris is doable, its a very long day trip, so I'd recom you go for a stopover, stay up near GdN (I've stayed at the Libertel many times and its fine). Kids will love Paris, ours did, but that was in August, in Jan its very cold, and short daylight hours, and might not be ideal for traipsing around the sites - depends on the age of kids i guess.

Edited: 05 December 2010, 18:58
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

Tell them that you're taking them to Richmond, just don't tell them which one!

http://www.visitrichmond.co.uk/

Yes, the earlier you buy the ticket the lower the price.

www.eurostar.com

Edited: 05 December 2010, 19:28
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

Why would you wait until Christmas to decide? Is something likely to change between then and now? If not, decide now, because if you wait for 3 weeks and then decide 'yes', you may find you have to change your mind if only expensive tickets are left.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

Hi

What fun!

Just a thought, but when my brother came over from Oz a couple of months ago (and left all his travel admin 'til the last minute) we actually found it cheaper to source Paris trips through a tour operator/package than using the Eurostar site (though they did have to get a v early train!).

Just google something like "london paris daytrip" etc and you'll find plenty of links.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

If you do go, there's a nice restaurant halfway up the Eiffel Tower which is good for children - not the gourmet one at the top - so you can bypass the queues, have a wonderful view and be well placed for your next move. Book in advance.

Waverly, IA
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

Although we are going at the holiday time, we tried to book our Eurostar trip to Paris from London just recently. Only to find out that we should have booked when we looked at the original transport 3 months ago.....three months ago it was 35 Euros. Now, it is 255 Euros each. Unfortunately, because we waited, the prices soared. Now, instead of taking our trip in 2 hours 15 min. our trip is now 9 hours because we ended up needing to take the bus instead. (I guess a more scenic route, but we are limited on time). Hope all goes well! Enjoy your trip!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

Thank you all for your advice. We were going to wait to see if Paris ranks high on our kids' list of things to do during our short stay in London. Sounds like we will have to decide without their input if we want to get the least expensive fares. Cheers!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

I can understand children being interested in a trip to EuroDisney, but not many children (ime) would be interested in visiting a city in January, even one as lovely as Paris.

10. Re: Too Late to Buy Eurostar Tix?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2011, 05:23