We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
31 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

Hello all. I was gathering great advice for a trip starting...today...to London for the week. Now I can't arrive until Wednesday.

How is it, Londoners? Are the trains working yet? Is there a sense that by midweek all may be normal?

Looking forward to six days in London whenever I get there.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,362 Reviews
from US$130.70*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,130 Reviews
from US$139.30*
US$154.80
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
517 Reviews
from US$117.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
478 Reviews
from US$348.00*
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

Had a normal train and bus service round here today.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

But Heathrow closed.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,530 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

LHR closed to arriving flights, but some are intended to depart.

So many planes out of position, stands blocked and minimal room on the aprons (where's that multistorey aeroplane park when it's needed?) (yes, it was meant in jest) means that flights have to depart before any attempt at normal service can be addressed.

The TfL webcameras show snow on the pavement at Aldgate station - brrrr. 2C and drizzly here; I'd swap if I could.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,970 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

Tomorrow, being the first working day since the really heavy snowfall, will give us more of an idea on how things will run but as others have said, it is how the backlog at Heathrow is cleared that will determine your arrival.

The weather forecast isn't great for the next few days with ice the possible problem rather than snow but I would be surprised if there were any major delays on buses and tubes in central London.

Have a safe journey.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

<<Is there a sense that by midweek all may be normal?>>

Not really, because there are more large snow dumps forecast over the next week, so that may well cause additional flight issues.

Plus of course it will be closed for business entirely on 25th and I dont see much happening on 26th either - shops and businesses that were due to open may not if the staff cant get there.

I have an appointment in London on Tuesday but I am suspecting its going to be canceled because some of the attendees either wont be able to get in, or wont fancy being stranded if a storm arrives later in the day..

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,730 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

I live in central London

Its VERY cold

some pavements are icy

but roads are clear

Tennessee
Level Contributor
31 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

Thanks, everyone. It sounds like a situation that could change day by day. The other half of our party is flying into Gatwick and they believe they'll actually be able to land tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a good holiday for everyone.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

Good luck Grace let us know how it goes :-)

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

This website is useful for deciding yourself what's on the way weather-wise :

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Of course the forecast amounts of "rain" actually refer to snow at this time of year. I suppose they should have called it "precipitationtoday" but somehow that's just not quite so catchy...

Mike

Stamford...
Level Contributor
578 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't get into Heathrow - how is it in London?

Stay away!! I've been trying to get out of London since Friday, when a delayed flight from Germany caused me to miss my flight. The airport is mad chaos, flights do not appear to be returning to a normal schedule anytime soon, and at this point I may be spending Christmas in London. They are also predicting more snow today throughout the South of England - I am not clear if this includes London or not.

I suspect that it will potentially be weeks before the air travel is back to normal. If you manage to arrive, you may not get out.

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe