We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

Hubby will be teaching a two day course at above mentioned school in early July. We are looking for a good hotel that would be walking distance to University College of London. We do have a few requirements other than location. Hubby's job revolves around Internet access and we don't want to pay an arm and leg a high speed connection. We have a liberal budget for this hotel but want the hotel to have more 'character' than a chain hotel.

Easy access to public transportation would be a huge plus especially to Heathrow.

We have not been to London since 1992 even though we regularly travel to other locations in the UK particularly Wales. I will have two days on my own and would love suggestions of things to do while Hubby is off teaching.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

One thing to be aware of is that UCL have various locations all over town, but so as long as you are sure that hubby is teaching on Gower Street then I think we are probably looking at the Gower Street hotels, which are pretty much old style hotel / B+B properties, with plenty of character if not so much of the big chain facilities.

TravellerPlus has stayed at many of these. With me being a resident I've not had the pleasure, but she can advise in some detail.

They all fit the bill for easy access to transport.

As for what to do while hubby is teaching, well the British Museum is nearby, and can take up a day or more. But of course other than that, suggestions on "things to do" depend on what you like to do.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

TP has stayed at a handful of the Gower Street hotels; she rates them as quite good for what they are. I've not yet booked at the Morgan (Bloomsbury Street is an extension of Gower Street) and really should do so to complete the picture.

Anyway. The Arosfa, Ridgemount, Jesmond, Arran House and above-mentioned Morgan Hotels are all worth a look. WiFi signals are strong, but one of the five levys a small charge for the service. Bus stop C is very near the first four with the stop at Great Russell Street almost at the main entrance of the Morgan. I tend to the lazy end of the bell curve and usually take any of the numbers 10, 73 or 390 from King's Cross to Torrington Place (after having taken the Underground from LHR to KX).

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…goodgestreet-2101.pdf

There are a handful of restos, cafes and pubs along Goodge Street and in Fitzrovia; Gower Street can have a bit of traffic noise at times but it's never been so much so that it's kept me awake. Rooms at all hotels are available facing away from Gower Street itself.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
731 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

For travelling academics UCL is part of the eduroam.org networking consortium so you can get on the university network with your home credentials. At the moment only Boston College is collaborating with so you are probably out of luck! Most europeans who move between colleges to teach or for conferences use eduroam as it gives you the bandwidth that hotels do not!

The other place to get bandwidth is Macdonalds. Hotels often charge too much.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

The very nice Peyton and Byrne cafe in the Wellcome Collection offers free Wifi, it's just round the corner from Euston Square tube station, so maybe 5 minutes walk from Gower Street. It does lovely food too.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

The Jesmond has a small charge for WiFi but the other hotels offer it free of charge. The Wellcome Collection is worth a look just for the sake of it, and the food in the cafe is definitely lovely.

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

Good point about where Hubby will be actually teaching. Hubby's contact person is a professor at the Gower Street location. I will have husband send an email to make sure that we will be teaching at this location. Thanks!

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

Hubby is no longer employed by a university since he is now retired from MIT but good to know eduroam.org. I will take a look at the suggested hotels. As to my interests, I am a K-5 elementary technology teacher, horse person and avid gardener. I will be turning our trip into a virtual fieldtrip for my students (12 schools) for use in the fall semster. Thanks for all your help!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

If you like gardening, visit Kew

www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/index.htm

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

the Geffrye Museum might interest you

http://www.geffrye-museum.org.uk/

the period rooms are fascinating, and they also have herb gardens

or there's the Chelsea Physic Garden

http://www.chelseaphysicgarden.co.uk/

for technology I can't think of anywhere better than the Science Museum

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/

10. Re: Hubby teaching at University College of London, Gower Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2011, 06:16