We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Simply food m&s

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Simply food m&s

What kind of hot foods do they offer at the hot counter? Things like sandwiches i would assume but how about cooked chickens? Prepared sides and veggies? Hot and ready to eat?

Are all the simply food outlets the same? Like there isn't one big location that has everything but then there's smaller locations that might not have a hot foods section?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Simply food m&s

There are cafes in a handful of M&S Food Halls (and some Simply Food shops) offering soup, pizza, sandwiches and light meals during the day (some have breakfast in the mornings); cold prepared sandwiches, savoury filled rolls, salads and sweet goods are available in Food Halls and Simply Food locations. The bigger SF branches I've been in have fresh baked goods as well.

For roast chicken, veg and sides you may have to go to a Sainsbury's Central or Local, Tesco Metro and branches of Waitrose (for the latter, check the website to see if Bratt Pan foods are offered, usually until about 1730).

Is there an area of London you're thinking of specifically, or just for general consideration?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Simply food m&s

Thanks TP. I will be in the Tate Modern area in Southwark. There is a simply foods a few blocks away and that seems to be the closest supermarket. There is a Sainsbury about 1km to the east but its not a full location with a hot foods section. I'm looking to save by eating food from supermarkets instead of going to restaurants.

p.s. I didn't know you posted so much on the London forum. I usually see you on the air travel forum.

Edited: 30 December 2010, 04:57
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Simply food m&s

You're welcome.

There's a fairly big SF in Paternoster Square near St Paul's, a walk acros the Millennium Bridge; not sure if it's got hot food to take away but I suspect it does. The Sainsbury's Local in Paternoster Square does have a hot food counter.

There is a Tesco in Bishopsgate near Liverpool Street that sells hot food and another Tesco near Monument station .... but it's smaller and I'm not sure what's on offer there.

If you're in the mood for it and find a M&S with a cafe or hot food counter, do try their porridge, it's very good.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Simply food m&s

Have a look at chains like eat,Leon and pret a manger - offering sandwiches, salads, soups and hot food like pies. Branches all over the place, reasonable and somewhere to sit.

http://www.eat.co.uk/

http://www.pret.com/

http://www.leonrestaurants.co.uk/

It's unlikely you'll be in the Southwark area much during the day unless you plan sightseeing in that area only....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Simply food m&s

I like the Pret Manger suggestion. I google mapped it and its even closer to me than the m&s simply foods. Just by a little bit as its on the same block. But Prets website doesn't list any prices. How much would one of their sandwiches be? I imagine i'll still buy most of the food from the simply foods outlet but this may be good for lunch.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Simply food m&s

As I said there are Prets (and other cafes) all over the place, they are more plentiful than Simpy food and you can sit down. (Where you're going during the day is more important than where you're staying and branches of most places suggested are numerous).

Slightly more expensive than M+S but around £2-3 for a sandwich or salad, £2.99 for very filling soup. There are branches of Subways around too if you are thinking US sized sandwiches.

Edited: 30 December 2010, 18:42
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Simply food m&s

If I was near the Tate Modern and wanted a hot food take away, I would go to the EAT cafe at the Oxo tower. And, if the weather was nice, I would find a bench in the Bernie Spain Gardens to eat it. london-se1.co.uk/places/bernie-spain-gardens

In fact, I did exactly that, one day walking from the Museum of London to the National Theatre for a matinee performance.

Edited: 30 December 2010, 19:07
8. Re: Simply food m&s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 06:40