We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highbury area - what's it like?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Isle Of Wight
Level Contributor
7 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Highbury area - what's it like?

We have the opportunity of staying for a week in a house in Leconfield road in Highbury. We've not stayed this side of the city before and I've no idea what the area would be like.

Can anyone give me any opinions about the area - is it a "nice"/"desirable" type area or a bit run down and dodgy?

Apparently its only 5 minutes walk to the Canonbury rail which isn't too far and then of course we could link onto the Victoria line to get into central London.

We've previously stayed in West Dulwich but although nice it was a bit of longer trip to get into the centre - I think this sounds more centrally placed.

Advice and opnions appreciated with thanks!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highbury area - what's it like?

This is on the very edge of Highbury, near Newington Green. This isn't a bad area, and has benefitted in recent years from its proximity to the more chic part of Islington. The very frequent 73 bus runs past Newington Green and most locals tend to use that to get into more central areas. It gets you to the Angel in about ten minutes and goes on into the West End.

Edited: 06 January 2011, 12:24
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highbury area - what's it like?

Islander049

Highbury, its quiet and while some parts are still a little rough, in small places, its still a nice area. Just be careful Boris Johnston doesn’t run you over on his bike.

I would forget about using Cannonbury Rail station, currently the Overground has three trains an hour until the link down to the southeast is completed some time this year. Your best bet would be to walk to Highbury & Islington, ten minutes at most, but you are well served by buses.

Do make use of the buses no 73 takes you into the heart of the West End to Victoria via Oxford Street. Then there is the no:19 to Knightsbridge Sloan Street. The 30 takes you to Selfridges and M&S but goes via Kings Cross which means its slow at times but also convenient for shopping.

I would also suggest you venture up to Stoke Newington Village on the no:73, some nice places to eat out. And apparently in Highbury, they have a football club, only joking there Gunner fans, take a walk up to the Emirate stadium, or No 236 bus, its nice to have a look around and some nice properties surrounding.

And last but not least if you want to see the true face of London, you can do always venture to Ridley Road Market on Saturday, about a twelve minutes walk for you, but guaranteed to find all types of exotic foods to cook, Turkish, Caribbean, Africa and Asian that you won’t find on the Isle of Wight.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highbury area - what's it like?

I agree with the others, that the area should be OK . I presume it gets described as being Highbury because it is just in Islington, but very close to Stoke Newington. The bus is best for much of Central London and the 73 is one of the most frequent routes in London. As a resident of Dalston, I only use the North London Line-Victoria Line connection if I am actually going to somewhere on the Victoria Line such as Oxford Circus. However, Canonbury could be useful for other trips - should you want to go to Hampstead, Kew Gardens or see how the Olympic Park is progressing between Hackney Wick and Stratford for example.

london
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highbury area - what's it like?

I'd say that street lies in between your two descriptions. I sometimes go to a couple of Turkish restaurants nearby on Green Lanes - Beyti and Sariyer Balik (Green Lanes is a very Turkish area) and I like the atmosphere around there. Why not have a 'walk around' on Google Street View to get the picture?

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highbury area - what's it like?

I know this area, as friends live there - it is known as Newington Green - it feels safe to me and is quite 'desirable' in estate agent terms, with lots of solid Victorian terraces, some are flats, others family homes. It's typical of the interesting mix that you get in London.

The bus is the way to go. Tons of buses run from the green into Islington and Central London. I would estimate a 30 min bus journey to get into town.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,635 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highbury area - what's it like?

I've taken bus journeys (the 30 and 38) through the area, and I'd certainly live there. And because visual aids are useful (I think), here's a few spider maps to give you an idea of what goes where.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…canonbury-11796.pdf tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…newingtongreen-10534.pdf tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…islingtonangel-2142.pdf

There is a big Sainsbury's in Liverpool Road, a Waitrose next to that and an unusually naff M&S (the shop has a sad uncared-for air about it but does have a decent Food Hall) at Chapel Market.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highbury area - what's it like?

And a couple of pub and Indian suggestion for you in Stoke:

3 Crowns on Church Street. Haven't eaten there but the pub is lively and good beer.

http://tinyurl.com/2ceqm2h

Birdcage Pub. Have had a few nice evenings here.

http://www.thebirdcagen16.co.uk/

And our favourite Indian in London, either delivered or sit down in the restaurant. Been eating here for the past 16 years and each and every meal has been fantastic.

allinlondon.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant-801…

8. Re: Highbury area - what's it like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2011, 05:16