We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
162 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

Hi all, staying at the Hotel Indigo Paddington for a few days in January. Looking for a good restaurant for an evening meal not too far from the hotel. Not fussy about the type of food, and happy to spend whatever for good food!

I know thats a very wide net I've set, but any recommendations?!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

My favourite is Satay House in Sale Place, there's a review on my profile. It's very authentic Malaysian at good prices... do book ahead if you can, it's popular after work. Don't expect anything posh, it's a little neighbourhood place tucked away on a side street. King prawns stir fried in sambal chilli and shrimp paste washed down with Anchor beer brewed in Selangor... yum.

There's a cluster of places on the side of the Regents canal in Sheldon Square, The Union gastropub isn't bad if it's midweek, they do nice Tapas and a full blackboard of mains. Just avoid Friday night, it gets too busy to eat in a relaxed environment. The branch of Zizzi (Italian) next door is very passable indeed, I love their ravioli and the pizzas are good.. there is also a bar and grill next door but I've not tried that one.

Ten minutes walk further to the North of the A40 flyover (up Edgware Road) is an interesting Burmese called Mandalay... again there's a review on my profile.

Pick of the pub food is at The Victoria on Strathearn Place, their chef is not bad at all, and everything is cooked fresh.

There's plenty of other places in London Street and Spring Street but I've not tried any in a while, other than Luigis sandwich bar for a breakfast. Sandro used to do decent breakfasts too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

Frontline on Norfolk Place.

Rodizio Rico on Westbourne Grove.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

If you fancy a curry, Spice of India in Bathurst Street is hard to beat

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
480 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

I'd like to second the recommendation for the Zizzi restaurant. We were there last weekend and had a lovely meal with great service before getting on the train back to Devon.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

First the good news, you will not go hungry. There are some Italians on Craven Road. Pub fare is available in The Gyngleboy, The Sawers Arms, The Pride of Paddington, Fountains Abbey, and The Dickens Tavern. None of the aforementioned would measure up to Canucks suggestion of The Victoria. This is situated across the Gardens in Sussex Place.

There is a multiplicity of small diverse ethnic restaurants in the area.

GreenwichNick has recommended The Frontline, this is an excellent choice. It is just around the corner from Fountains Abbey on Norfolk Place.

We have all the usual chains, Mc Donald's, K.F.C., Garfunkel's, ASK, Burger King, and The Scotch, and Aberdeen Steak Houses.

Any time I pass The Indigo their bistro always seems to have a crowd.

As Canucks has said there are a number of restaurants up in Sheldon Square. The grill to which he refers is Smith's it is quite good.

For something a little different you could go to Bel Canto in the Corus Hotel at Lancaster Gate. Here the waiters will serenade you while they serve your courses.

As you may have gathered from the foregoing there is no Haute Cuisine in Paddington.

Most of the pubs in the area close at 11P.M., one exception is the Sussex Arms, a couple of steps from your hotel. There is a fish and chip shop next door. The trick here is to come out of the pub around 1115 place your order and then go back to the Arms for a few more. Then at 1215 or thereabouts you can collect your supper.

Bon Appetit and Cheers.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

We enjoyed several of the small ethnic places on Spring Street, though the names escape me. A middle eastern place and a pizza place (next door to each other) were good for grab and go. There's an Indian restaurant that my husband liked. We also ate at Pride of Paddington several times, and at Ask. The only place we really did NOT enjoy was Garfinkle's. Never again.

There's plenty around there, just have a wander and see what looks good.

Cybored

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

We've eaten at Mughal's several times. Its located several doors down from the hotel on London Street.

8. Re: Restaurant recommendations nr Paddington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2011, 05:15