We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area of London is best to stay in

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which area of London is best to stay in

Family of 5 (kids are 11, 13, 15 ) are planning one week in London in July. I am planning to rent a vacation apartment. There seems to be many good areas to stay in and I would love suggestions.

I would like it to be moderately busy, close to subway, restaurants in area.

Would appreciate input.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

Almost every underground station is in a moderately busy area with plenty of restaurants. Anything you particularly want to see or do ?

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

First of all and to avoid confusion and duplication I would ask you to remove your other thread. I have reported it as duplication and you can click on remove my post which will be quicker.

We all have our favourite areas and with a family I think Bloomsbury and South Kensington are the two most obvious neighbourhoods as they have good transport links and a wide range of restaurants and supermarkets. Ultimately I think it more important to make sure the place you book is genuine (see the sticky at the top of page one and run a mile if anyone asks for a money transfer) and is close to a bus stop or tube station.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

Most of central London should suit. Are you looking for a one bedroom flat with an air bed or sofa bed for the children or a two bedroom flat? Have you a budget in mind? Are you flying to and from Heathrow or travelling to or from London by rail, perhaps on Eurostar? Is this a first visit to London?

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

I wrote a post on a different forum explaining the various neighborhoods in London from a tourist's perspective. It has links to pictures and videos to give you a feel of the neighborhoods. I also included a map to give you an idea of where they are in relation to the others.

eurotrip.com/content/…comment-90503

Since TA forums don't allow links to be embedded, I figured it would be best to link to the whole post instead.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

I like many of London's neighbourhoods, but if this is a first stay and you want to get a up close on a daily basis with iconic London, then the south bank opposite westminster will fulfill that wish admirably, and you can easily get away with avoiding the underground to some extent - sometimes a bit tricky when shepherding a big family group.

You'll have good underground links (waterloo, westminster), be close to the London Eye, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and westminster bridge, on the doorstep. Within possible walking distance depending on where you stay and how much you like to walk (we do!), could be: the Globe, Tate Modern, wobbly bridge, St Pauls Cathedral, trafalgar square, leicester square/west end, chinatown, covent garden, tower bridge, hms belfast, buckingham palace, St James Park, Horseguards Parade and much more.

Edited: 09 January 2011, 22:21
Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

Every neighborhood in central london area has it's benefits.

The bus, with oyster cards is better than the tube, once you familiarize with the area you choose.

Kids love getting in the front seats upstairs, so look for opportunities where a route starts, as these seats are often the first to be taken.

Trafalgar square is the centre. You can get anywhere from there on the bus.

Victoria station has proven to be good.

Paddington, also...

The list is long.

Plan ahead.

Know what you want to see.

Avoid hopping around.

Try to absorb one area per day.

For the tower of London, spend the day in that area.

For Westminster, same deal, maybe do the Eye at the same time.

Don't be afraid to hop in a black cab with three kids, best way to cross the river, with three tired kids.

Good luck

Edited: 10 January 2011, 23:49
Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

Black cabs are a great deal, for five people, for modest distances of a kilometer or two.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

Lots of good places to stay. Check out London School of Economics. They rent spare dorm space to tourists. They have everything from single rooms to suites, to apartments. They also have several locations- one is very near Trafalgar Square. All are near Tube stations. You might want to try this website http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/ratesavail.htm .

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

We enjoy staying in the Covent Garden and Park Lane neighborhoods when we are in town. Close to tube stations, good food, and not too crowded.

10. Re: Which area of London is best to stay in

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2011, 06:17