We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

Fort Wayne
7 posts
Save Topic
Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

My daughter and I want to eat three times a day (at least) in London but tend to like to share or even have lighter meals. Do restaurants in London mind it when customers split a meal?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,371 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

When my husband and I were in London in 2004 we shared things like pizzas and other casual meals without issues ( I don't think I even wondered if it would be a problem, probably because it's so common in Australia). But we didn't eat at any high-end restaurants, so it could be different there. For lunch we tended to get a take-away sandwich or roll from somewhere like Eat or Pret-a-manger but I would not think they would care if you share.

Locals may be able to offer more detailed (and more recent) advice.

Fort Wayne
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

Thanks, Aussiegirl! I was hoping that they wouldn't mind.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

Best thing to do is to ask in the establishment. Most places, in our experience, won't mind and will usually provide, particularly if prompted, additional plates and cutlery.

Not sure that top end places would be too happy though. And a lot of places will have a section of the menu for "light bites" or "those with a smaller appetite".

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

No (although I haven't tried sharing at higher end restaurants).

My wife and I have split meals many many times all across London without a problem.

You guys will be fine.

Fort Wayne
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

Thanks to you all. We definitely won't be eating "high end". We like to eat what the locals eat and just good, basic food.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

<< eat what the locals eat >>

Pub grub at it's best.

Of all the pubs I have visited around the world London (England in general) pubs serve up the best Pub Food you can ever have at a pub.

Pub food here is not the grub you think it maybe but many pubs offer a gastro-experience. Even the smaller, quaint and little laneway pubs.

Depending on where you are going to be many of us have our favourites and we can all suggest pubs that have great food at a great price and pubs you should best steer away from : P

EDIT: although there are a couple of kellers (german pubs in MUC) that really put the challenge to the Brits : )

Edited: 10 January 2011, 02:28
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
592 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

You may find that portions in England are smaller than what you're used to being served at home. I often share meals or take half to go when I'm at home, but I don't think I've ever had enough left on my plate in the UK for that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

Pub grub in the UK is usually great ;-) I recall having the best creme brulee I've ever tasted at the Hungerford Arms not far from Bradford-on-Avon (it put the one I had in a restaurant in France a few days beforehand to shame - no comparison, in fact). When in London, we often grab a sandwich, some fruit salad and a bottle of water from Tesco, Sainsburys, M&S and the like - very economical and usually a great variety to choose from too. Lunch for about £4, brilliant value :-)

Like others have said, there'd be no problem sharing in casual places.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

Banana9701 is telling you the truth! Think small portions!

However, also consider that there are various "2 for the price of 1" restaurant deals. And as Marmalade T has pointed out, various supermarket chains have special offers, such as Tesco with a sandwich, bag of crisps and a soft drink for £2.

Edited: 10 January 2011, 04:27
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do the English mind if you split a meal between two people?

LOL small is a relative term ..... they're only small portions compared to the obscene portions often offered in the States (not that I've been there, but my husband has numerous times and he has told me how huge the meals were - and he's got an appetite, so if he thought they were huge, they must be mind-boggling).