We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

The show was good albeit similar to the rest of Cirque Shows which does get a bit boring. What totally ruined it for me was the venue. The Albert Hall is definatly a great place but if your seats are the ringside ones be prepared to have your view obstructed markedly by the person in front of you. My wife and I saw the show on the 17th of Jan having booked 6 months in advance and having asked for the best seats. We were in row D ringside (the seats in front of the stage>, there is no slope so all the seats are on the same level, when someone sits in front of you, you will not be able to see much of the show at all but rather only the back of someone���������������������������������������������������������������������������������s head!

I don't think i will bother watching any more travelling Cirque Du Soliel shows as they do not compare in any way shape or form to the resident shows such as the ones in Vegas or Orlando. I think the UK in general cannot put on a show like the US can.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

Is that Orlando Bloom that you're referring to? Welcome to the London Forum.

Possibly Cirque should bring their own tent. When they come to our city they have their own set of tents. One large one that is airconditioned with no obstructions. Others for the souvenirs, concession and tapis rouge. Their tent is designed for their show which makes it a good experience and the seats are on a slope.

Yes all the Cirque shows have a very similar vein to them. However, it's also the story hidden behind them that's also interesting.

Many Canadians are proud of Cirque as it began here in 1984. They've come quite away in a couple decades.

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

Thanks for that tip, OrlandoRocks. I haven't been to a Cirque show, yet, but would love to go one day. I have also wanted to go to Las Vegas with my brother. Putting two and two together...

I do think you have a point in terms of really slick and expensive shows. The US are particularly great at hosting those. In general the US excels at most commercial entertainment (movies, TV, etc.). I think it has to do with the US being such a large and lucrative market, which few other nations can provide.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
165 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

I went to the Messiah at the Albert over Christmas. Got a seat in one of the second balcony stalls. When buying the ticket, I repeatedly asked if it was obstructed and was told it was not. However, it was the "fifth" seat behind the two rows and it was like being in a tunnel. I got the head usher and complained and was given a new seat. The usher told me that it was not considered to be obstructed but admitted that it was.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

www.theatremonkey.co.uk says much the same about stalls seats "if there is a tall person in front of you tough"

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

My wife and I saw Alegria at RAH on January 8. We sat in good seats, dead center and just in front of the boxes. The seats were good (and expensive, since we also opted for the Gold Package), but far away. At least we didn't have any obstructions, as we were on the slope up to the box seats.

We've also seen this show in Philadelphia in 2004, when they brought their own Grand Chapiteau tent. It was indeed MUCH better in that the seating is highly ideal. But, they need the space to set up, several acres. In London, I suppose that might have been a problem. Now, RAH is an awesome venue, but it's fairly large and not as cozy as their normal travelling tent, and it probably holds more people too, so, more money.

In closing, the show itself was awesome as always. I highly recommend it, just get a good view seat!!

DaddyO

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,800 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

'I think the UK in general cannot put on a show like the US can'

Can so!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

Nonsense OrlandoRocks

Britain can but London can't - off the top of my head Birmingham and Cardiff at the very least (I am sure there are other cities with large scale venues) have the facilities to put these kind of shows on successfully but London has 9 million people within a tube ride's distance and a 'received wisdom' amongst international touring companies that the UK begins and ends within the sound of Bow Bells. As a result you poor visitors end up paying laughably high prices for shoddy service.

It was ever thus and sadly it will ever be.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

The Royal Albert Hall was built when people were shorter than they are nowadays.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

Obviously OrlandoRocks, you have seen Cirque du Soliel shows before in the theatres that were specifically built for those shows. Because the staging and high-tech aspects of Cirque's shows are extensive, it makes sense that these shows would be better in the original theatres.

That being said, it does not mean that the UK "cannot put on a show like the US can". Shows in historic venues like the RAH will be different than shows in uber modern theatres. It all depends on what type of show and what type of venue. You'll have different experiences at each. And each have their place.

If I went to Carnegie Hall expecting to see a great laser light show high-tech rock concert, I'd be sorely disappointed in it, but last week listening to Mozart's Requiem there with a choir and orchestra was exquisite.

USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alegria - Royal Albert Hall - DISAPPOINTING!!

I saw Allegria at RAH also. i actually really enjoyed it and loved RAH as a venue - but we were lucky enough to be in staggered seats and had a great view. Funnily i wanted to see it again because when i saw it in Dallas a few years ago we had a horrid view. we had purchased seats higher up in the tent but my daughter injured her leg and was in a cast and on crutches so could not do the stairs. Cirque very graciously changed our seats and put us in the handicapped area - we were in the second row - but same problem you had - no slope and could not see past the large couple with large hair sitting in front of us. We wished we had just had her hop up the stairs!!!