We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

Chester
4 posts
Save Topic
Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

Myself and 5 others are coming to London in a couple of weeks. We're going on a night out and didn't fancy messing around hailing cabs (especially coming back). Does anyone have any recommendations for good reliable taxi / car companies we can pre-book that will take all 6 of us and turn up on time?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$124.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$147.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.50*
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

Addison Lee or Lewis Day are probably best but depending on where you're going for your night out, it will probably be easier (and cheaper) to hail a black cab tbh.

Edit: sorry should have added that for 6 of you you'll need an MPV/people carrier or two saloon cars. Even black cabs can only hold up to 5.

Edited: 23 January 2011, 15:58
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

If cost is an issue then it depends where you're starting your journey from, it's cheapest to use a company who are based at your journey's start or finish point.

If you're not too bothered about cost, Addison Lee are very reliable and use Ford Galaxy cars as a standard fleet car, each will carry 6 passengers.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

Steer well clear of Addison Lee. Their drivers are among the worst private hire drivers in London.

Type Addison Lee into youtube and see the number of videos of bad driving that come up !

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,459 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

Utter rubbish. Do you have that table of worst drivers handy?

Addison Lee's drivers are no worse or better than any other private hire firm. They're the bete noire of the cabbie fraternity which attracts attention from their lobby, and they have a liveried fleet making them easily identifiable... no-one would be interested in posting youtube videos of a plain private hire car.

The size of the operation means that by the law of averages you're bound to be able to find examples of bad driving.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

I've always found Addison Lee particularly good, (the first to introduce no. plate ID by text for their drivers), punctual and particularly good for female passengers, late at night. I'm sure any large company with as big a volume of journeys as AL will have the odd bad one, but that has not been my experience in 25 years of using them.

6. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2011, 15:05
7. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 April 2012, 12:35
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

Addison Lee are getting a LOT of bad press recently. Given recent comments by their chairman I suspect they've just had a Ratner moment.

BUT back to OP - finding taxis in London is easy at all times of the day or night - and not pre-booking gives you flexibility to change your plans depending on what happens during the evening

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,459 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

BUT back to OP - finding taxis in London is easy at all times of the day or night

==========================================================

The OP posted 15 MONTHS ago. This thread has been resurrected by person/persons who want to either slag off AL (I missed the earlier removed post) or to promote their own company. Time for mercy killing methinks.

Edited: 22 April 2012, 12:24
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
534 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Needed - Good Taxi Companies / Chauffeur Companies

I've used Handicars: http://www.handicars.co.uk/

This is partially because I've had other car companies:

Not take credit cards (what!)

charge ridiculous prices