We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

We are a family with 3 young children. Keen on renting above for a UK holiday but how do we know it's legitimate. They are asking for a bank transfer for 50% for the deposit and then a bank cheque for 1000 pounds security. All emails seem well worded and reasonably legitimate but worried about scammers.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,386 Reviews
from US$126.10*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath, Pub...
2,144 Reviews
from US$128.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
539 Reviews
from US$113.80*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,163 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

Barlby Gardens again (there was a question about this property just last week). It's on the far side of the Westway, a bit of a hike or bus ride to Ladbroke Grove station. It's far enough away from central London so that if you wanted or needed to go home in the middle of the day it wouldn't be a quick journey to and from the house.

The VRBO link suggests that credit cards are accepted, but if the owner wants bank transfers only (and won't accept credit cards via PayPal, for example) I'd be a bit leery.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
New Haven...
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

I had inquired about this place as well. I had first inquired about it and was told it wasn't available. Then a week later I inquired about a different place but was told they had an alternate place (vrbo 249826) available. I responded back to be sure it was actually available since just a week prior I was told it wouldn't be available until the summer time. I had also asked for the exact address but I never received a response back. I would make sure you have a first and last name of the person handling this (owner or agent) and ask for the exact address, then google it and check back on this site.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

There`s half a dozen posts about the unit on on this thread.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k11…

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

keito68, what dates are you looking at and what budget?

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

17-21st June 2011 and 150-200pounds per night

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

Have you looked at www.ownersdirect.co.uk

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

thanks will do

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
235 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

We just stayed with our 3 teenage children at Johnny's Place near the Kennington (not Kensington) tube stop. Perfect for a family; comfortable, clean, very hospitable owner/manager. It is listed in the "vacation rentals" section of this site or you can google it. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
The Kensington
The Kensington
3,182 Reviews
London, UK
Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

thanks - looks great

10. Re: VRBO property legitimate or not:www.vrbo.com/249826

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2011, 14:37