We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Vacation Rental Scam - New York Times Article

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Topic
London Vacation Rental Scam - New York Times Article

…nytimes.com/2011/…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Vacation Rental Scam - New York Times Article

Craigslist and £45 a night for a flat in Notting Hill Gate ..... oy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Vacation Rental Scam - New York Times Article

Surprised he got an email cancelling it.

<The night before I left, literally as I was packing my bags, an e-mail came in with some dubious grammar: “I was actually arrested today because the owner of the apartment you paid for refused to pay taxes">

Guess that would save you the embarrassment of turning up on some unknown doorstep, but as they have your money, don`t see why they would care.

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Vacation Rental Scam - New York Times Article

I had the same thought as Hugo. The guy seemed oddly considerate for a scammer. They usually just let you find out you've been scammed when you arrive. Maybe it was an attempt to prevent follow-up emails. Also, living in New York he must have heard of apartment rental scams because it's also a big problem there, especially as legal short-term apartment rentals are almost impossible to find there.

4. Re: London Vacation Rental Scam - New York Times Article

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 18:18