We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire return Heathrow Airport

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire return Heathrow Airport

I will be returning a hire car to Europcar at Heathrow and wondered two things:

1. Where is nearest filling station to Europcar to fill up before I return it (don't want to get stung with them filling up a teacup full and charging me a tank full)?

2. From the Europcar drop off point on the North Perimeter road is it possible to walk to terminal 5 departures?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,392 Reviews
from US$124.90*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from US$127.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from US$112.70*
Aldershot
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire return Heathrow Airport

Hi,

Not sure where the nearest filling station is I am afraid but should probably try and avoid motorway filling stations as they are usually more expensive.

As for walking from Europcar to Terminal 5, it is quite a long way and North Perimeter Road is not really designed for walking on I don't think. The map on this page shows where abouts it is:

heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/car-hire.html#b

I am pretty sure Europcar run a shuttle bus to the airport though, I remember Hertz did when I went with them.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,746 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire return Heathrow Airport

There is a Texaco filling station on the Bath Road on the eastbound carriageway, not far from the Europcar depot (within half a mile). It's near the Radisson Hotel. The post code for the satnav is UB3 5AY.

You can't walk to Terminal 5, it's the other side of the airport about 3 miles away... distance is moot as you'd have to go via the motorway, which of course is out of bounds to pedestrians.

Europcar ( and all rental firms) operate a shuttle van service to take you to your flight.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 16:51
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
294 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire return Heathrow Airport

There is also a Total service station on the westbound carriageway pretty much opposite the Sheraton hotel, next door to McDonalds.

Postcode for that one is UB7 0EA

Mentioned in this post
McDonald's
McDonald's
707 Reviews
London, UK
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,547 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire return Heathrow Airport

I found this article on the web. No maps but some guidance. It does of course depend on where you're coming from.

ezinearticles.com/…

The one I use is I think the one that Canucks mentions. You have to get onto the A4. If coming to Heathrow from the west along the M4, if you exit at junction 5 (Iver) and take the A4 towards London there's a petrol station about 1/2 mile along (about 3 miles from the airport). You can then carry on along the A4 and enter the North perimeter road.

Mentioned in this post
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London
London
England, UK
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire return Heathrow Airport

When you return a hire car they only check that the fuel gauge is full when they turn the key.

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire return Heathrow Airport

Thank you everyone, you confirmed what I had thought. I had hoped to get a bit of a walk in before spending 11 hours on a plane but I guess the shuttle bus is the best option after all. Thanks for advice on filling stations I can see the Texaco one on Google maps so it seems quite close.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire return Heathrow Airport

Don't worry. Plenty of walking to be done once inside the terminal! ;-)

8. Re: Car hire return Heathrow Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2012, 05:38