We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

Perth ,Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

Hi All,

We have just been told by friends that UK and Europe's mobile phones are analogue and our Aussie mobiles will not work with one of their sim cards, is this correct?

Also, if we buy a phone in the UK and get a pre paid plan, can we still message and call to Australia?

I was hoping to take my unlocked phone and buy a sim card, but maybe not! :-)

Thanks for all your help and advice in advance :-)

Cheers

PomPerth

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

Australian mobiles work fine in Europe and the UK which uses digital networks as well.

Edited: 28 January 2011, 10:58
Perth ,Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

Thanks Mankster! That helps with our problem. Its sometimes always better to ask people in the know, rather than take the heresay of friends :-))

Cheers

PomPerth

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

"We have just been told by friends that UK and Europe's mobile phones are analogue"

They were 16+ years ago.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

I would be amazed if your phone wouldn't work.

It will probably depend on how many calls/texts you want to make but my Aussie contingent of the family picked up SIM cards from Tesco (a big chain of UK supermarkets) for £10 (there was a promo giving £30 credit/talk time) when they were here in October. They just used the phone for a few calls, but used Skype to talk to Oz on a netbook (so always tried to find places to stay with cheap/free wifi).

Perth ,Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

Thanks, great info! I think we will buy a 2nd hand phone and get a sim card over there, and just skype, as we have decided to take a laptop with us to keep in touch at home.

Cheers!

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
264 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

If using your mobile phone, check which band Australia has, as we over here have at least another band then the US!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

I took my iPhone 3G and 4 around Europe late last year. No probs except I couldn't find prepaid micro sims for the iPhone 4. I suspected this would be the case hence bringing the old 3G with me which uses normal sized sims.

When I lived in the UK, T Mobile used to have great rates but the sim also doubled as an international calling card - could call Australia for 5p a minute! This was about 3 years ago though, not sure if they still do this.

Perth ,Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

I have an ordinary Nokia, which would be 3G, so I'll take that, put it on international roaming, but also look at getting the sim card to replace mine.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

PomPerth

Canada
Level Contributor
4,715 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

I have an unlocked Blackberry. When I am in the UK - I use an O2 SIMcard which I purchased randomly at a Carphone Warehouse in Harrogate. I used to have a Vodaphone Sim - but for some reason their coverage is crappie.

I simply switch my Canadian SIM when I land in the UK and use the O2 while I'm there. I can top up practically anywhere and there customer service is good.

10. Re: Which phone to use in UK and Europe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2012, 07:17