We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flat rental question....

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Flat rental question....

Have been trying to rent a flat in London for our trip and getting very frustrated with wait times with email tag. One I thought/think may work for us has a great location and price via. www.homeaway.com.

Question - has anyone dealt with this company before or know of them? And the person renting the flat only accepts cash or bank transfer. HUH? That makes me nervous. Is this common or what?

London
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flat rental question....

Can you post the link to the flat, so people can comment, when they see photos etc.

Does it give a full postal address of rental including postcode. How much is it per week, this is usually a giveaway if a scam and is to cheap for an area.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,724 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flat rental question....

There used to be a very useful FAQ on this forum warning of teh pitfalls of renting.

Any business that accepts cash has,in my opinion, got to be dubious. Same with Western Union, etc.

Why don;t they accept credit cards or Paypal, etc.?

Others on here can give you much more specific advice, especially of you give details of the company / flat

Creve Coeur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flat rental question....

It was an individual through www.homeaway.com. Funny thing, on their webpage they suggested paying via credit card or paypal but this individual I was thinking of going with (not now!) wanted bank transfer and then cash upon arrival.

Said person replied that they were trustworthy and just renting out their flat and not a big business person who used credit cards. Ummmmm yeah right.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Flat rental question....

I have rented a London flat from HomeAway (actually holiday-rentals.co.uk which is basically the same company) and I was required to send the money via bank transfer.

A bank transfer is a common way of transferring money, so that one issue standing alone, does not mean it is a scam. Very few listings for flats in London on the HomeAway website accept credit cards.

Post a link to the specific listing, only then can it be determined if there are other factors which would lead one to believe that the listing is a scam. HomeAway is generally a reliable business, so I would be surprised if there are many scams listed there.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flat rental question....

I am guessing that "legitimate" individuals "might" be preferring cash so that they might not have to go through the unpleasant process of handing over a big chunk of it to our taxman/woman.

I wandered onto homeaway and the first thing I noticed on the homepage (certainly from the UK) was that they were offering a fraud guarantee (best to read the fine print and decide if it helps you).

holiday-rentals.co.uk/info/about-us/legal/te…

6. Re: Flat rental question....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2012, 10:32