We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Marathon on day of depature need advice

denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
London Marathon on day of depature need advice

Have just realised that London marathon is on the 17. of April.

Will this effect our travel time too the Airport?

My wife and I are using Heathrow while our friends are going to Stansted.

And will there any area to avoid until we go to the airport

Our appartment is located near Holland.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,585 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Marathon on day of depature need advice

"Our appartment is located near Holland."

Belgium?

I think you mean Holland Park :)

The marathon goes nowhere near Kensington/Holland Park; 22 of the 26 miles are way out east (Greenwich/Docklands) and the only central part of the route is the last 4 miles from the Tower, along the Embankment, past Big Ben and Buckingham Palace. If you're using public transport (such as the Central line to Liverpool Street for STN) I wouldn't see any problem. Traffic heading west towards Heathrow should be ok too.

The Marathon starts fairly early in the morning, and the bulk of the 30,000 runners will arrive at the finish between 12 noon and 2pm. You might start seeing the tube and roads getting busy past this time.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Marathon on day of depature need advice

Your friends going to Stansted may find Liverpool Street busy by the early afternoon, but the Stansted Express itself will not be adversely affected,

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Marathon on day of depature need advice

We were there a couple of years ago during the marathon and it didn't affect travelling.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Marathon on day of depature need advice

>And will there any area to avoid until we go to the airport

I went up to watch the London marathon a few years ago.

Because the runners are running along public streets they are of course closed off to cars and other vehicles

Many of the public crossing points are also blocked off so it is VERY difficult to cross the road along the route. Once it took us 30 minutes to cross the road when we were there.

So it should not effect your trip to the airports, but if you do consider walking down to watch the marathon note it will take you much longer to get around and to get back to your hotel.

It is actually a great atmosphere along the route so if you get some time do try to take advantage of it.

Edited: 29 January 2011, 10:43
5. Re: London Marathon on day of depature need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2012, 06:19