We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas to stay in central london

stavanger
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Safe areas to stay in central london

I am taking my niece (age 15) to London/UK this summer. We will fly in to Gatwick in the evening, then train to london, 2 nights there and then afternoon train from Paddington to Wales. On return, we will return to London on saturday morning and fly out from Heathrow on sunday afternoon. The last night I thought it would be convenient to stay in a hotel close to Paddington to get most out of the short time available. However, on the first stay we could also stay in another area. Any recommendations? Are all hotel areas safe or any places in central london you would not recommend for women?

I am sure she wants to do some shopping but other ideas for what to do are very welcome (she has never been to London before - and me not in 15 years??)

Diest, Belgium
Level Contributor
36 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe areas to stay in central london

Like always, crowded areas are best. Avoid dark streets without people.

Most hotels are okay, if you stay central (define central, West End?) you're okay.. Read on tripadvisor for specific hotel info.

Or, even better, post some hotels you like and someone will reply with advice on the neighborhood the hotel is in..

cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe areas to stay in central london

As a tourist, you are very unlikely to stray into any of the few parts of London that aren't safe. Stay somewhere within the loop of the Circle (yellow) line of the tube and you'll be fine, as long as you bear in mind it's a big city and behave accordingly.

The only area a tourist might wander into that I would steer you away from is the subways at Elephant & Castle, after dark.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe areas to stay in central london

>> Safe areas to stay in central london <<

That would be central London then.

I would however disagree with kenk10 and would say that crowded areas are best avoided as that will be the only place you are likely to find pickpockets.

Alta, Norway
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe areas to stay in central london

Been going to London on my own since I was 19. Never felt unsafe anywhere.

5. Re: Safe areas to stay in central london

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 06:17