We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner in Chinatown

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner in Chinatown

Any recommendations for a nice place for dinner in Chinatown? Any favorite dishes to recommend?

Many thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
26,739 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

Gosh, all much of a muchness these days alas!!

Go anywhere you like the look of, and read the menu carefully.

My favourite chinese dishes are Lemon Chicken, Chicken with Cashew Nuts, Beef in Oyster sauce, Cripsy Duck, Chow Mein and Hot & Sour soup.

What are yours??

A bit on the outskirts of Chinatown, you could have a look at this wonky London institution, although it is not as 'rude' as it used to be, it seems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wong_Kei

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/2971.htm

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

Chinatown is teaming with chinese restaurants, so it's impossible to recommend one. As for favourite dishes everyone's different, I like spicy dishes and ravioli, my husband hates spicy dishes and ravioli. As Essexwanderer says your best option is to check out the menus outside and chose one that you like the look of.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,227 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

Take it from someone who eats at Wong Kei's on a regular basis, they're not nearly as rude as they once were. I think all the really scary waiters have now retired. Its still on the abrupt-side of efficient and if you want candles and every-attentive service, then this is NOT the place to go.

However, if you're after quick, hot, large portions at cheap prices (set meal is £8 meal for four different dishes), then its a great alternative when you're in the West End and want something substantial but don't want something like Burger King or McDonalds.

For more 'regular' service - Joy King Lau's used to be good (haven't tried them lately).

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

Most of the places I’ve been in Chinatown have been very similar – as others have said just have a wander and go in somewhere that takes your fancy.

I would personally go for Dim Sum at lunchtime rather than an evening meal, and think most places are pretty good at this.

If I was going for dinner I would probably opt for Imperial China on Lisle st. The main entrance is set back a little from the road so needs searching out! It might be slightly more expensive than some other places (not by much, £1-2 more for a main course) but I think it’s a bit nicer.

Another favourite dish is the crispy duck and pancakes

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

HaoZhan on Gerard Street is really nice. Prices are reasonable & you can get 2 for 1 if you have a Taste or View card. They also have some interesting options on the menu, slightly different from the usual Chinese dishes. Champagne Cod and the Chilli Quail are delish :)

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

Top of The Town is an excellent choice. Lovely decor and good service. Great food. Hubby loves their Kung Po Chicken and I adore their Cantonese Crispy Chicken and their sizzling lamb platter. We usually get their shared appitizer plate- the fried seaweed is excellent as is the satay chicken skewers and bbq spare ribs. They make hubby's kung po extra hot and bring him extra chili sauce. On one trip we ate there so many times the owner came and talked with us!!!

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

Thanks to all. Do any of these places need a reservation? Also, are they open on Sunday evening? And, are any that would not be a good idea if we have to be at the theatre after dinner?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

All of them are open on Sunday evenings. You don't need a reservation at any of them for a Sunday (but on Friday and Saturday nights it's adviseable for the better ones).

Not sure why any of them would be a problem to eat at before the theatre... they're all fairly quick and efficient.

My own favourites are Harbour City and Imperial China. You won't be surprised to hear that not all Chinatown restaurants are the same, or much of a muchness, if that was the case it wouldn't be necessary for anyone to ask the question that you've asked.

9. Re: Dinner in Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 06:17