We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

I know it sounds sacreligious but what are my options for non-alcoholic drinks in London pubs? I want to enjoy the atmosphere of local or historic pubs but I don't want booze. Any good choices besides diet coke?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

cheffip,

Is this really the image that Canadians have of us Brits, as seasoned alcoholics? Maybe on Fox TV but as non drinker by choice, I have yet to walk into a pub and ask for a non alcoholic drink and find the whole place stops dead in their tracks, as they turn to gaze at the crazy person, who has the temerity to ask for a non alcoholic drink, in a pub.

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

Mrs EB often has a Blackcurrant, or Lime Juice, and Soda when nominated driver - a shot of cordial with soda is much cheaper than a bottled fruit juice. And nobody will bat an eyelid if you ask for it.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

a 1/2 pint or pint of Orange juice mixed with (British-style) lemonade is my drink of choice; in a Lacock pub I was told it was a 'King Henry' which I've never heard of before... and when I mentioned this in another pub, they'd never heard it called by that either!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
731 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

Pubs also have a range of low alcohol and alcohol free beer available. There are various different brands. Most pubs will also serve tea and coffee as well.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

Whether a King Henry or a St Clement ('oranges and lemons say the bells of St Clement's) you may order orange juice and lemonade by the pint or half pint. No one will look askance or wonder whatthehell you're on about, truly.

Cin cin!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,390 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

Lemonade and lime (cordial) used to be a fave tipple after long, hot walks in what seemed like the endless summers of the seventies....

Sigh.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

Screensilver: You are clearly drinking in the wrong kind of pubs

;-)

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
425 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

Screensilver: No offence intended. I was merely going by past experience in the UK when I was still drinking and old episodes of Coronation Street. I don't remember seeing too many teatotalers LOL.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 13:38
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

These days with drink driving laws there is always at least one person in a group who is not drinking alcohol. And tap water in Britain is perfectly safe everywhere. By law restaurants (not sure about pubs) must supply tap water if asked so don't be conned into paying inflated prices for the bottled stuff.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,783 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Non-alcoholic drinks in pubs?

When wanting to quench a thirst in non alcoholic fashion I go for a shot of refreshing lime cordial in a glass of iced water. Rarely costs more than £1 and usually is much less. There's not a pub in the land that doesn't have lime or blackcurrant cordial (juice concentrate/squash).