We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pardubice, Czech...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

Hi,

I'm going on language course for 3 weeks in July. I probably will stay somewhere in suburb so I'll have to travel everyday to school (is in the centre) and I'll do sightseeing in the afternoon. What is better kind of card? I'm 16 years old if there is any discount.

Thanx a lot!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

A 7 day travelcard for each of your 3 weeks is probably best. You might as well get it on an Oyster - with some PAYG money if you need to travel outside the zones paid for.

As you are neither a full time student nor a resident of a London Borough there are no discounts available - you'll pay adult rate.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

It's not a choice between travelcard or Oyster... Oyster is just a means of carrying various types of ticket. It's not a ticket in itself.

I agree with dzug, buy an Oyster card, and load it with a weekly travel card covering your zones. Use Pay As You Go credit for any trips outside your zone.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

In case it's not clear why the above has been suggested. Oyster is a smart card which can hold travelcards, PAYG, or both. so in your case the appropriate zone (depending on where you end up staying) travelcard plus some PAYG will cover your transport needs within London.

You can top up PAYG and renew travelcards easily at tube stations and a number of small newsagents or you can register and do so online.

London
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

"As you are neither a full time student nor a resident of a London Borough there are no discounts available - you'll pay adult rate."

dzug1, I don't think that's correct (and for all we know, coolkatik may be a full-time student doing the language course in his/her summer holidays).

You can apply for a visitor 16+ photo card, which costs £10.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14308.aspx

tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tickets/getting-…

Page 5 of the second link shows the discounts given to holders of a 16+ photocard and is divided into 2 columns:

1) 16-17 year-olds in full-time education and living in a London borough

2) ALL other 16-17-year-olds,

which I would take to include coolkatik, unless I've misunderstood the labyrinthine workings of TfL.

Edited: 06 February 2011, 17:51
Pardubice, Czech...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

Hi again :) Thank you a lot for your responses. I've decided for 16+ Oyster. But I can't find how much is it? Could you help me?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,667 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

Pardubice, Czech...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

My school is at Covent Garden. And my travel agency told me that I will stay up to one hour from the school. Could you tell me which zone it probably is? I don't know if I should buy Travelcard for zones 1 - 2 or 1 - 3 or more.

Unfortunately the agency haven't given me any useful answer.

Thank you :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,667 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

An hour from Covent Garden could be anywhere in London. Until you are told an address it's impossible to say which zones are needed

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

Could be any zone, pretty much all of them are within 1 hour of the centre. When you know where your accommodation is, you can buy your Oyster. I'm sorry I can't be more accurate (I know you're probably trying to budget ahead of time) but it's impossible. What I'd maybe do is budget for zones 1-6 and then if you are any closer, you will be slightly better off than you thought.

Pardubice, Czech...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Language course - Travelcard or Oyster?

Ok. Mybe I wiil buy for 1 - 6. But I read about how to apply for the card. And there is that of I'm in category 16 -18, my parents have to apply instead od me. If I apply it, can I collect it in London just by myself? And do you think I should buy the ticket also for bus and trams? Or if I have this Travellcard + PAYG it's ok.

Thank you a lot. I'm really confused and there is so much to do before my leave in 3 weeks.