We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Henley on Thames

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Henley on Thames

Just got back from an overnight stay at the Red Lion Hotel in Henley on Thames, wonderful!!

Henley on Thames would also make a nice day trip for visitors to London. You can take a train from Paddington to Twyford and from there the short ride to Henley. The town reminds me very much of Portsmouth, NH in the US only Henley is much more picturesque IMHO. I loved walking around and browsing in the shops in the town centre. There were loads of restaurants that all looked quite inviting. I'm terrible with names but we had a wonderful meal in a small Italian restaurant in the town centre.

Since it was a sunny day we took a long walk along the Thames and also strolled through some residential streets.

The Red Lion Hotel was lovely, I highly recommend it. We even had afternoon tea in what they call their pub, a very small room with high backed wing chairs, lovely small tables and a fireplace with a roaring fire. The food was wonderful and compared to London prices,was quite inexpensive.

Mentioned in this post
The Red Lion Hotel
The Red Lion Hotel
702 Reviews
Uxbridge, UK
Henley-on-Thames
Henley-on-Thames
Oxfordshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
The Paddington Hotel
The Paddington Hotel
391 Reviews
London, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
The Thames
The Thames
199 Reviews
London, UK
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,391 Reviews
from US$125.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,150 Reviews
from US$127.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros. Studio: The Making of...
541 Reviews
from US$112.90*
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,433 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Henley on Thames

I've heard that Henley is nice. Thanks for the report confirming that.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Henley on Thames

Henley is a delightful riverside town. Accessable by train from London's Paddington station. I don't know if you, or anyone out there, are fans but Dusty Springfield is buried in the graveyard of St Mary's Church, Henley. It's the large flint and stone church near the road bridge over the Thames. George Harrison used to live in the town as well.

Mentioned in this post
Paddington Station
Paddington Station
1,156 Reviews
London, UK
The Thames
The Thames
199 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Henley on Thames

We spent a lot of time walking around residential streets, this is the start of our quest for where we want to live. Next weekend it's Marlow. The trip is an easy and pleasant one to make.

If one is familiar with New England coastal towns in the US they will understand why I loved my day trip to Henley so much.

Henneth, thanks for the info, I hadn't realized that Dusty S is buried there!

Mentioned in this post
Marlow
Marlow
Buckinghamshire, UK
New England Hotel
New England Hotel
301 Reviews
London, UK
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Henley on Thames

Thanks gabby for the report. Henly is on my list for a visit. I love the side trips from London. A few years ago I spent a very nice day in St.Albans. Well worth a visit.

Thanks, too, Henneth for the music connection.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire, UK
London
Level Contributor
576 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Henley on Thames

When in Henley, make time for the delightful walk up the Thames past Temple Island to Hambleden Lock and on north to the unspoilt picture postcard village of Hambleden... and its equally superb pub the Stag & Huntsman.

Mentioned in this post
The Thames
The Thames
199 Reviews
London, UK
Lock'd
Lock'd
334 Reviews
London, UK
The Stag
The Stag
150 Reviews